heater controls

last week my heater decided to play up

the bulb has stopped working along with the heat controller

so effectively all it does it blow cold air which isn't best this time of year

i've also swapped the bulb behind the 1-4 knob and it still isn't lighting up

heard about a resistor but not sure if the symptoms require a resistor or a new set of heater controls

any ideas?

If the blower operates then its not going to be a resistor fault. If it was the heaters would not operate on some of the speeds.

The hot/cold is operated via a cable at the back of the heater control unit. Its not unknown for the cable to get snagged/come off from the back. To get to it its best to remove the center console, once you've done that you should have access to the back of the unit to check the cables.

It could also be that the gear ring has snapped on the actual heater unit. You can check this by looking at the bottom. Check the track that the cable puller runs along and see if that's snapped at all.

As for the bulb try adjusting the prongs before you insert the bulb as the contacts arent the greatest on that type of bulb. If that doesn't work id check for voltage at the bulb socket with the illumination on and go from there.

• 4 weeks later...

How do you adjust the tension of the wire for the hot/cold? Had issues with only blowing cold but the wire isnt in the most free place ive ever seen and can get get it hotter and colder than isual by moving the wire manually too

• 1 month later...
The hot/cold is operated via a cable at the back of the heater control unit. Its not unknown for the cable to get snagged/come off from the back. To get to it its best to remove the center console, once you've done that you should have access to the back of the unit to check the cables.

Just wondering if this could be the same problem as to why i would have such a stiff blower direction knob (only seems to be on one quarter of the turn)? The cable could be caught a bit? Is it easy enough to haul out the heater dials or anything i should worry about breaking/catching?

Cheers madman, that was a bit of a help when looking at first earlier :) There's a couple of screws behind the wee holder area above the heater controls too for anyone reading this in the future :)

Tried spraying some oil in round the cog at the back of the dial, but its no different, i think the resistance must be up at the vents somewhere as all the cables and cogs seem fine :( Its only when you turn it from 6 o'clock to 3 o'clock and vice versa is where the problem is, anything else is fine.

Must be the front facing vents somewhere?