SDI fuel filter and oil change

Is the fuel filter dead easy to replace on an SDI? Is it just a case of whipping off the fuel lines and replacing the canister (fill it with fresh diesel)? There's nothing else I have bear in mind regarding the fuel pressure or anything? I'm new to modern diesels so want to make sure it's as easy to do as it appears!

Also, is the oil filter and oil sump plug easy to get to on these engines for an oil and filter change? Haven't had chance to have a proper look, just got the car. Hopefully there's folks on here who service their own SDI and can share their experience. Thanks

Last weekend i replaced the oil, oil filter and fuel filter, on my 1.0. everything was easily accessible, i was using a pit though. the fuel filter is located on the same side as the fuel filler cap under the car and is held in place with a plastic sort of bracket and the fuel lines are clipped into the filter, pulling the fuel lines off the filter took longer than it should of, i didnt want to brake anything lol. once you've replaced the fuel filter i primed the car by turning ignition off and on 10 times, and then it still didn't fire first time. anything else you need to know just ask, theres plenty of useful/helpful people on here :P

yes its easy. But make sure the fuel filter you buy is EXACTLY the same type as the one on it now. there are slight differences in design and some don't fit. and yes sump plug you can access without removing under engine cover but for the oil filter it will need to be removed.

Also the fuel filter on the SDI is in the engine bay. Big silver can thing, im sure you know what it looks like. when you change it either fill it with fresh fuel, or just crank it and pump till it splutters into life and then if i were you give it a couple of revs to get rid of any bubbles. don't need to bleed these.. well i diddent haha

Edited by James827

Thanks for the replies guys.

That's all good news. I've had a look in daylight under the car and I can easily get to the oil sump plug and the filter from underneath (I've got some little ramps to use so I can get under the car, and there doesn't seem to be any undertray in the way)

It was mainly the fuel filter I was worried about, I didn't want to meddle if an SDI is tempremental with air bubbles or you had to depressurise the system or something aswell! My cars have all been ye olde diesels without direct injection. Although, I've done a filter change on a Mk3 Golf TDI though, so it will be just like that then, I had no problems. Sorted!

I know what you mean about the different types of filter on offer for the SDI. Trouble is, the one it has on is OLD and I can't read a damn thing off it (part number). I'll just have to use the car year and engine code when ordering.

Thanks again peeps!

i tried this and mine was still the wrong one! i actually had to take the guy out of the shop and to my car to show him that i needed the different one. so yeah be careful on that one and if it looks even slightly different it probably wont fit. and air bubbles are no problems for these cars!

Cheers for the warning. I've ordered an SDI one according to the chassis number, as there's two different ones on offer at most places I've looked, so hopefully it's right. If it turns out to be wrong, I'll have to go into a parts shop in person with the car.

Well, got all my filters and stuff successfully done today...oil & oil filter, air filter and fuel filter. The only one which had me cursing was the piggin' air filter! You need to be a contortionist to get the airbox screws off and on again underneath the car! I'm so glad I have some ramps - I could lay under the car properly (without fear of it dropping on me!) Was still a pain in the arse though. Even so, I'm glad I did it, the old air filter looked well due a change.

As for the fuel filter, I had a lot of air bubbles in the fuel line afterwards, the car spluttered and struggled, then started, idled and revved fine - still with big air bubbles going through...then I left it off for a bit and when I came back to start it up again my heart sank when it took a few cranks to get started again. Took it for a good run out with no ill signs and now it seems to have cleared itself out and starts up again as normal. Phew.

Thanks again for the advice. It's nice to know my Lupo's had some tlc now.