Gunk in air lines???

jamesb16

hello after cleaning out my airbox i noticed there to be some gunk in the larger tube to the left of the engine and after removing the bent pipe it revealed the tube to be nearly blocked with this gunk! im sure this cant be good for the engine how can i get rid of it and what is it? also there is a pipe that comes off from the tube from the left and goes into a small round black thing with a flow arrow what is this too? as i think this maybe be gunked up

IMG-20111116-00190.jpg

white/yellow gunk?

what is this

IMG-20111116-00192.jpg

IMG-20111116-00189.jpg

kind regards James

your right it isnt any good for the breathing of the engine, and whilst i am not sure what its real name is you will do well to get rid of it ! seen it referred to as mayonaise on a few car programs, and it to be associated with short journeys but get shot of it and your engine should be all the better for it. . .i guess its something to do with the air/oil mixture and the action of it being compressed on the reverse side of the piston when the engine is running, but those with a better anser than this will be along soon with words or wisdom shortly so we can both learn a little more..

Its the PCV pipework (positive crankcase ventilation)

It sends gas from the interior of the engine back into the intake. Part of this gas is vapourised oil, which mixes with water in the air to form the gunk. Yo may have to replace the pipe as it may be like that all the way down.

I think they are supposed to have a haeter halfway to stop the oil from condensating, this also may have broken.

• 3 weeks later...

And as I posted this I have experience the same problem a few days ago as my mpg was down the toilet,

You need to get a carb spray cleaner and spray it through all pipe work connected to that pcv piping, it's mainly caused by a faulty oil top up lid, is it yellow around the cap? If so you need a new one from vw, £6

But that black thing underneath the throttle body with 2 pipes going to it, remove it and spray carb cleaner Into that for a few seconds, aload of black crap came out of mine, then, unscrew the throttle body, just 4 screws, unplug the lead to it and the 2 pipes and give it a good spray on the bottom and clear all that crap out,

While the throttle body's off, give it a quick spray inside the intake manifold, below where the throttle body was and down the pipe you will see in the middle, put everything back together.

Lastly, you want to spray down all the pipes that connect on the air box, the big pipe, and 2 little ones, then once that's done, start your engine, with air box off, and give a few sprays into the throttle body while running, will give it a nice clean further down, when you first start it, might take a while, that's just because the cleaner is slowing the air flow, it will start after a few go's

Re assemble and hopefully problem solved!