Arch rolling/ cutting

ElZ 16v

Rolled my arosa's arches a few months back but to run the car low on the wheels they had to be flared quite alot and the flaired uneven look in my opinion looks terrible an i am just wondering have people ever cut Away the front arch ( tried finding pics ) because i have 2 arosa wings to play with an need advice..because i did originally roll the arch lips flat but dont think they cleared the wherls are 15x7 if that helps

Edited by ElZ 16v

Mine have been cut by previous owner mate, if you like, I could try and get a decent picture for you.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. The arch is just left with a very sharp and pretty uneven edge, if it's lowered any more it would be a bad day for the tires... :huh:

This is just my view, when rolled as well it may be worth doing :question:

Edited by Staffgfx

Mine have been cut by previous owner mate, if you like, I could try and get a decent picture for you.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. The arch is just left with a very sharp and pretty uneven edge, if it's lowered any more it would be a bad day for the tires... :huh:

This is just my view, when rolled as well it may be worth doing :question:

The job hasn't been done properly then.

If you cut the arch, then you need to roll/bend the lip left, otherwise as Staffgfx said you will be left with a sharp egde.

Heres my step by step guide;

• Mark two lines on the panel of the wheel arch with a foil marker pen. Use red (unless the panel is red) to mark the upper line where you will fold the wheel arch. Use blue (Unless your panel is blue) to mark the trim line about 1/2 inch below the fold line.
  • Make cuts every 4 inches from the lip of the wheel arch up to the cutting line. A hacksaw or nibbler works best for these cuts. This makes it easier to trim the wheel arches as they are divided into approximately 4-inch sections.
  • Cut away the area below the cutting line with a pair of hand nibblers. Be sure to follow the curve of your cutting line.
  • File away the sharp edges using a metal file or a rasp. It doesn't need to be perfect as this will be folded away out of view.
  • Line up the nose of a pair of pliers or mole grips with the folding line so they can pivot on it. Pull down and push the handle of the pliers away from you. This will cause the nose to pull towards you and dig into the fold line, making a sharp crease.
  • Bend the panel to 30 degrees for the first bend. Work your way around the arch. Start again from the beginning and work your way around bending it another 30 degrees.
  • Hammer along the wheel arch after you reach a 90 degree angle. Place a chisel on the inner side of the fold line where you are hammering to make a sharp fold. Smooth out the imperfections with the hammer.

This does work better if you have the correct tools, as in a dolly and hammer, but I have done it using a chisel, so it works.

Follow this, and you will ace it.

Pie

964c9b8d.jpg

These arent the 7j wheels (obviously) but you can see the bad flaring/rolling however it did stop severe rubbing well not rubbing it tore the outside edge of the tread off originally with standard arches..

Cheers for the detailed description when i did it last time i just rawmed it and the arch line was dead uneven an looked like a drift car haha

The above method is how I did it to my drift car. Drift cars don't ALL look shabby.

That is awful. The arch needs pulling rather than rolling the lip. If you pulled and flaired the arch propperly then it would look alright. One of he quickest and easiest ways to sort that is to hammer the arch back into a "standard/normal" arch, and get a big scaffold bar. Get someone to help you, what you need to do is one of you move the car SLOWLY forwards and backwards. Whilst this is being done, the other person needs to hold the scaffold bar between the wheel and arch so it pulls the arch rather than rolls the lip.

This is my mates old BMW that we did;

21102010137.jpg

21102010136.jpg

Final Fettling;

21102010135.jpg

21102010134.jpg

As you can see they arent perfect, but after a skim of filler, and some sanding down, then a coat of paint, they looked awesome.

You can see in the last picture that the arches are "pulled" as apposed to "rolled"

This is how the car looked before we sold it;

photo3wc.jpg

dsc07519x.jpg

And there are videos on youtube;

Pie

Im binning these wings they are coming off my car an going on my brothers scrappy bound arosa ( had his black interior,g60's, front arches and gunna swap my front lights for his and already have all rearlights shiney new off his

Once again thanks for the info think the plan is my friend who has a mini cutter ( doubt thats the actual term) but he says its effictively a small grinder with a small thin disc he has done many cars like engine conversion loads of previous archwork and painting so should be good i hope :)

And to your earlier a comment i meant no disrespect to drift cars i think there quality like the features on speedhunters are always sick.. Just they really dont suit the arosa unless side on :P

Youll need to spend a good weekend on the arches. Dont rush it. There is no point in starting the job at 5pm and rushing to get it done as you need to be home by 10pm to watch TerraNova.

It takes time. A grinder would be alright, but you really need a nibbler for the tricky parts, and a dolly & hammer.

Speedhunters put the glorified cars on their site, heres a few of my mates cars;

Hux's KE70 (SR20 Powered)

5902555870_7b727ca9e5.jpg

322779_2144103641080_1200908869_31992656_1238276010_o.jpg

Dazes Kouki S13;

321041_208682375859446_100001530541075_567990_8081951_n.jpg

313499_203932293013941_116765711730600_499278_65099721_n.jpg

Bens S14JZ

264388_10150228248139247_680204246_7208078_6421885_n.jpg

294441_2509576578412_1223010737_32967247_1683880715_n.jpg

These cars are used and abused, whereas the majority of the featured cars on Speedhunters are show cars, that rarely see a sideways moment, or a wall coming towards them.

Bens S14JZ has had both rear quarters replaced in just over a year.

It was also stolen and written off a week before the opening round of this years BDC yet with hard work, it was at the 1st round.

I mean roundabouts and stuff i reckon i'd get in trouble with the policee .. Get enough attention in the 60bhp arosa even when doing nothing.. I like ae86's there cooool

Theres a saying that a lot of people follow; Keep it off the street.

Idiots go out and do "skidz" round roundabouts all night getting in trouble with the police and giving drifters a bad reputation. People who like a challenge go to a racetrack, or a DWYB event and drift around circuits which are more challenging that a circle.

Moral of the story - dont be a dIck