Help fitting amp

Hi, this is my first post here, ive just got myself a black lupo sport 16v smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> will introduce myself and post pics later, anyway ive fitted an amp and sub, and when testing it didnt work, the amp has power and remote power, but no sound in the sub, i think the speaker wires are wierd correctly, ive tried them bridged and not bridged and still no sound, so i can only put it down to a bad earth?!!?

so my first question is whats the best place to earth the cable to, i cant find a decent place anywhere in the boot, secondly, if it was badly earthed would it still make a sound then maybe blow a fuse or would it just not work? becuase the amp power lights still came on.

cheers

james

Have you connected the RCAs?

What amp is it?

if you have a camera take a pic of the connections, and swithes.

It wont be an earth if the amp is lighting up.

A good place to earth it would be (on a none GTi) the seatbelt bolt.

On a GTi the negitive battory terminal.

What switches are they on the amp?

They'll be diffrent switches, I dont know what on that amp, as Ive never seen one, thats why the pics would help.

Yes the RCAs are Phono leads smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Is it a 2 or 4 channel amp?

It may just be my eyes, but is there a fuse in the fuse holder on the amp?

670amp.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

There should be a blade fuse in there.

Ok Lets start with the basics.

If the headunit has a sub control, make sure its switched on, and turned up.

Check the filters not down too low. (put it to 100hz and switch the LP (low pass) filter on.

Have you a speaker you can hook up to the amp to see if its the sub.

Double check the RCAs havn't come out of the headunit when putting it back in (Not taking the piss, I forgot to hook mine up before fitting the headunit in :shock: )

Mine was screwed onto the back left seat. Kept it out of the way of stuff in the boot and the metal seat back helped dissipate heat. Does mean you're left with 4 holes in the seat back when you remove it though.

my headunit has sub pre outs which is what i connected it to, i made sure it was switced on and full on test still heard nothing, do u switch the LP (low pass) filter on, on the headunit, if so i dont think/havnt come across this setting on mine, or is it a switch on the amp? i did think it could be the sub, just the screws have been put in at a really annoying angle by bloke i brought it off that i couldnt be bothered with taking them out to look, lol maybe i should be bothered and find that my problem is simple, i will test with speaker 2moro