Few problems need advice

tjd2oo7

Hello,

My partner has owned her lupo sdi for 5 years now and other than the pedal box going within the first year there has been no major problems with it.

Recently the car has developed a few little issues which I would like to sort out for her but I need some advice on these as im unsure what the problem could be exactly. Some of these questions might sound incredibly simple but I am on a budget and could really do with not buying unnecessary parts.

1. The indicator / Fullbeam stalk along with the other stalk was letting of small puffs of smoke whenever we had heavy rain for some reason, I replaced both of these but now the indicators do not always trip off when you have gone around the corner and to put full beam on it makes a ratchety clicking noise and feels like you have to pull it more than you did before for the full beam to lock on. From when I fitted these my inderstanding was that it can only go on one way as they phyically lock into each other and then slide into guide / sockets on the steering column. It did make a huge click though the first corner I went round after installing it so is it possible I did install it incorrectly? or is it more likely it was a faulty part? as I really could not see any other way to install it.
  2. Gearbox.. the car has always crunched when going into reverse gear, initially put this down to the pedal box not allowing the clutch to engage fully when we first had the car. Recently the car has been kicking itself out of reverse gear around 90% of the time and sometime first gear also. Once you put it back in gear it seems fine then but its concerning that its doing this.. any idea what could be the problem?
  3. All but speed 4 on the heater is not working I know this is a problem with the heater resistor and I am led to belive that it is located in the passengers footwell, so I know what I am looking for can anyone provide a photo of when its located at all?
  4. Radio reception is incredibly poor in the car been tested with multiple radios also so I know its not them, is it likely this is just the ariel that need replacing? It has been this way ever since she owned the car.

These are the main problems I want to sort out for her that im not 100% sure on.

Could anyone recommend a good place to get 2nd hand parts from also? or is ebay the best bet?

Im basically looking for if anyone knows a good place to look;

1. Passengers door speaker (it seems to vibrate badly even though there is no visible damage to the speaker...)
  2. Drinks / cup holder (both the front bits have fallen off and 1 of the spring mechanisms fell out)
  3. Drivers door mirror case (the outer case is quite badly damaged had to celotape it on to stop it falling off...)
  4. Bonnet catch handle (by drivers feet, snapped this accidentally when trying to put it back on after changing pedal box...)
  5. Heater resistor
  6. Ariel (if thats what my problem above is)
  7. 2 x upper door grab handle (the previous owned obviously wore alot of rings as they are both scratched badly just want to make it look nicer for her)
  8. 4 x standard alloy wheels (nothing too fancy just something that wont look out of place on the car)

One last thing.. is there anyway to make the SDI go any faster? she is always asking me the question but I dont know the answer...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by tjd2oo7

The reverse gear is unsyncronised on these cars so the reverse gear is basically spinning at a different rate to the rest of them, the way i found to get around this is while the clutch is down slip into 2nd then pop down to reverse. mine sometimes pops out of reverse. not sure why, i just pop it back in and off i go. also your passinger door speaker vibrates too? Check the door cards are on tight. i had that problem, after a few door card clips it basically went away. unfortunately some spanner drilled out two of the rivets holding in the speaker.

Where in south wales are you?

I pass a black lupo Sdi with a broken wing mirror very regularly, and have spotted it about with a female driver.

Edited by James827

At least im not the only one with a crunching and popping out reverse gear, it just worries me that the gearbox will go on her sometime when she is out.

I will check the door card tonight to see if thats the issue I have had it off a few times before and I know the speaker is riveted in as its meant to be but will check the card again thanks for the tip.

We are just above caerphilly, her lupo is white also.

ahh different car then. the one i see is in Newport, and i pretty much a newer version of mine with ronal turbos and coils, inc the mirror and stuff. haha. While the card is on, check for movement, then take it off and see how many clips are holding it on, the more thats there the more stable it is. if you do need some, look for lupoboz in the trader section thats who i got mine off. any pictures?:)