1.4s AHW low idle speed heeeelp!! :)

right, had this motor a little over two months and have so far managed to spend £350 and quite a few man hours sorting the little bugger out. i have managed to overcome a few issues but the next one is a bit of a tough one, or so it seems...

from cold start the engine seems to run perfect at high idle speed with the revs sitting at around 1200, spot on, then it would gradually drop as the car warms up, 1000 revs, still fine and i have good throttle response and power; however, as the engine reaches full temperature and has been driving around for 10-15mins the idle speed drops to 500-600 revs, throttle response becomes 'spluttery', i lose a slightly noticeable amount of response and power and the engine will stall easilly if i dont give it a load of abuse, especially in reverse. sometimes the engine will just cut out if i apply 'full lock' on the power steering at stand-still. i have done a few things to try and resolve this, firstly all plugs and leads changed, no difference. then i removed air filter and cleaned the ****e out of the throttle boddies with a load of carb cleaner, guess what, no difference.

the next two steps i am considering is either changing the coil pack or maybe the throttle boddies or both but wanted a little more insight before spending anymore cash :)

i have had it on diagnostics and no fault codes are currently displaying however when i first did the diagnostics it read that injectors 2/4 were intermittently grounding but the fault has not occured since resetting the codes.

sorry if this has sent you to sleep but the more detail the better :) please point me in the right direction.

sorry this car has just been frustrating me after all the hard work i put into it. sometimes the power steering will just cut the engine out by itself as if the engine doesnt compensate/adjust the idle speed. the problem seems to get worse after its been driven hard. also what would cuase it to loose throttle response as it gets hot? its funny you say air leak as when i drop the throttle off it makes quite a load sucking/blowing noise but didnt know if that was exhuast or not. ive noticed theres a small pipe missing off the egr valve but could not find anywhere for it to go lol. i recently done a complete cam kit but im sure the engine was timed perfectly and the problem was occuring before.

When I had to rebuild my engine I originally found it idled ****e, turns out I had the timing out a little. Still it idled a little iffy with hesitation upon acceleration and I cured this buy copper gasket sealing every surface on the throttlebody assembly.

Is yours a fly by wire tb or a cable one?

But i will say again, they seem to idle low anyways, not an issue unless you get air leaks etc

i will have to double check the timing this weekend then, i think the copper gasket sealing will be the best next step before buying a new throttle body. do you have any idea on the missing pipe lol, may have to check the manual.

thanks for the advice and i will let you know how it goes

ok i was slightly wrong, from the egr valve theres the vacume pipe which goes up to 'the exhiast gas recirculation solenoid valve' at the end of the camshaft carrier.

from the bottom of this valve is supposed to be another pipe, im pressuming its supposed to be connected to the intake somewhere but i have no idea. the manual is not clear.

i can send a pic via email

• 2 months later...