Want to be the FaSDIst

Slow&low

Hi guys, I'm new here just bought a green 2000 1.7 S Sdi loop. its completely standard with 111k on the clock.

Going to get saving for the real mods now needs to be low obviously. But i live in north yorkshire and they seem to like speedbumps and potholes up this way. I want it to handle well but i'll be doing 400 miles a week on the motorway so i'd prefer my spine to be intact afterwards. Can anyone recommend a good set of coilovers?

The brakes too i've noticed are, for lack of a better word, s**te. so would you guys go for the full overhaul and replacement calipers bigger discs etc. or would a nice set of standard sized discs and pads do? I've heard something about g60s but i'm not entirely sure whats involved with those, any links or info would be appreciated.

Now for the big question.... the engine.Have any of you guys heard of someone tuning the nonturbo diesel? should i start with the obvious air filter? and can you get a new ECU chip for performance? i heard that standard engines in most cars are pretty de-tuned to improve lifespan so i'm hoping i can get some more Ooompf from this little beating heart.

As for external mods... i'm not sure yeat i like the way green looks with a good pure white so thinking of getting some white alloys. some moderate tints all round i think would contrast well with the green. I'm tring to avoid the green and black combo, not that i dont like it so much as i dont want to drive something that looks like a gillette razor (http://www.expressch...ower-razor.html) i'm a fan of all your loops on here havent found one i dont like yet so any input will be well recieved.

Cheers, Bri

Edited by Slow&low

Have a look in the Tuning section, theres a topic called "Ultimate coilover thread" got loads of reviews in there.

Brakes, yes, G60 set up fits, theres a few topics in the howw to section, or have a whirl with the search function (top right corner of the forum).

As for styling, I'd be inclined to stick a set of G60 steelies on yours, in white, I think that would look awesome.

Si

ahh sweet yeah found the coilover thread, will have to save all my pennies for a set of those beauties.

as for a G60.... what is it/ are they? is it the standard gear from a mk2? and do i have to change front And rear hubs to fit them? it says there's more choice and that they're better priced so would be nice to get them on. not to mention the performance and style improvements they bring.

A friend of mine has some g60 look (i googled it) alloys silver with the black edging on his mk1 they looked pretty tasty. would you say full white or white with the trims a different colour? been thinking and i'm really tempted to go for the tic-tac green and orange theme haha but we'll see

thanks guys.

Don't go with orange and green. I'd get some G60 steels in white with the black centre caps. Stick that pic ^^^^ in the photoshop and ask someone to do it for you.

I would just get upgraded standard sized brake parts tbh.

I quite like the Sport alloys you already have - though about powdercoating them? With it nice and low and some spacers that will look nice IMO

a powder coat could be an option until i have funds. how much would i be looking at for that? does £40 a wheel sound reasonable? or can i get it cheaper? i like the polo alloys you can get too (http://www.flickr.co...een/3390075937/)

have posted in the photoshop so we'll see what comes out,

Been looking into the rollbar situation and they sound like they make a huge difference. but again is £210 a lot? or could i find one cheaper/ steal one from another car at the scrappy haha? http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35103

And thinking sensibly i rekon changing the hubs might be a bit of a ballache. if it was s straight swap for the g60 then fair play but upgraded standards will do i rekon. gonna start slow and paint the calipers this weekend i think. i'm fancying gloss white or red hammerite or something, any thoughts?

Cheers

Edited by Slow&low

Personally I don't think it will matter on the colour of calipers as you won't really see them through your current wheels, so do them what colour you want.

Personally I don't think it will matter on the colour of calipers as you won't really see them through your current wheels, so do them what colour you want.

you can see them a bit haha, especially in orange :thumbsup:

Nice colour ;) also those alloys look good on the car, powdercoated white would be amazing

i have put a request in the photoshop section. if i wasnt at work i'd download it and have a go myself. lol i love fridays nothing to do haha.

Also i think these look well tasty. especially if they were in white

http://www.flickr.com/photos/montanagreen/3390075937/in/photostream/

Edited by Slow&low

The polo rims are nice :D I need to get some alloys for my SDI but funds are a little tight at the moment lol

same here i bought mine last night lol. have 0 cash until payday. cant even eat haha

The Whiteline rear ARB is £125 from Awesome GTI.

Look in the For Sale section, then Traders, then Awesome GTI. It's got the info in there.

The £125 was the group buy price, but I think Al said he could still do them at a good price if you phone him up.

:)