Engine swap advice. 1.4 16v

David

Hi,

My GF currently has a Lupo 1.4 16v with AHW engine code. The car is smoking quite a bit and rather than try and repair it, I think it may be easier and cheaper to look for a new engine.

What other 1.4 16v engines will fit without any issues? I don't want another AHW engine as I hear they're pretty pants. Ideally im looking for something that will drop straight in without having to mess about with anything.

Anyone help?

Tricky one, i wouldn't weven consider the AUA, has narrow oil channels & a low oil pressure problem, hence why i didnt bother with getting another one for my little ladies lupo, nor did i bother with the AHW, just jumped the gun & am forgoing the additional insurance & tax costs & throwing in an AVY from a polo, 1600 16v not heard of anyone having any issues with these....

it certainly is an option that shouldn't be ignored,

i mean the cost of it will probably be around the same price as a second hand unit, £350-450 but it would be a fresher version, you'd know the history, & you'd get 3 or 6 months or milage warrantee with the work... or you do round our way,

I've never had this done on a lupo but experience in the game is what i'm using to answer your thread, maybe someone that has had this done could help you more......

What would I need to buy all together, would it just be piston rings and valve stem seals? Im guessing I would need a new head gasket as well. Am I also right in thinking the head would need to be sent off to be skimmed? I would be thinking of doing the job myself along with some help.

Stem seals aren't great and the valve runners get some play in them, that's usually a cause of oil burning it would seem

I stripped all my top end down, replaced cam belt/water pump got 2 valves replaced, stem seals replaced and got a full head kit inc all bils, seals and gaskets for about 280