JL Audio 10W6

Snoopy

Any of you ICE bods got an opinion on this sub? Running in a small volume ported box. Is it gonna be able to do SQ or is it more SPL oriented?

Is it 4 ohm or what? Will I be able to run it from my Audison LRx 4.300 amp (210W RMS @ 4 ohm)?

It's an S1 I think...

Is it this mate?

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_in...s_id=1159&tab=2

Its a pure SQ sub mate, but as with all JL subs gonna have the problem of the voice coil config.

They are Duel 6ohm drivers so your looking at 3ohm sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

You need a 2ohm stable amp buddy Im afraid.

Do you despratly want a JL sub?

Looks similar, but the middle bit bulges out rather than in... piccy:

post-5-1108601314.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The Audison is 2 ohm stable, but I'm guessing I couldn't bridge on pair of channels and run the sub at 2 ohm whilst using the other two channels to run components at 4 ohms...

The guy selling it says it comes with an amp, but he hasn't said what it is, so I'm guessing it's crap. If it's not, I guess I could use the existing amp (presumably suitable for the JL sub) to run the sub and use my Audison to run my components actively?

(Although two amps in a VX may be considered overkill...)

Edited by Tigz

Oh, and no, not bothered about what sub I have at all as long as it sounds good! Guy is selling sub, box and amp for half the price my local ICE shop quoted me to make the box.

If it's totally unsuitable, I guess I can always sell the sub on eBay/TalkAudio and buy a different 10 inch sub instead. Seems the JL gets good ratings though, so if it's useable it might be worth trying out...

Dude I know very little about JL as they've always been too over priced for me.

Best to give someone like Source a call about the sub.

Your amp is 2ohm stable mate, but only in stereo mode.

I dont think it can be bridged in mono mode to 2ohm.

A little scetchy the web site but As far as I can see it wouldnt be able to run the sub.

Its up to you of course, but if it was me, Id be looking for a single 4ohm vc sub so you can stick with that amp.

Yes they do make good subs, but I wouldnt say they're good enough to change a great amp like the LRx.

How much can you get it for?

If its cheap enough may be worth getting, just to sell on???

The JL 10W6 is meant to be a very good sub (very loud but also good from a SQ perspective), not heard one but a friend used to have one and loved it.

I'd say a 10W6 was a little overkill though to be honest (rated at stupidly high power and prob needs a lot to get the best from it)

I got myself a Dynaudio MW180 (only rated at about 200w RMS (4 ohm) but more than sufficient). The sound quality is beyond belief and with the lower power rating you know it'll be running at it's sweet spot (power wise) during normal usage. The 4 inch voice coil also makes for decent freq response.

After owning a set of Dynaudio BM15 studio monitors I knew Dynaudio was the way to go for the car. It just so happens that the MW180 is the same size and very, very similar to the drivers in the BM15 so I knew what I'd be getting. These drivers are also used in the active BM15a (nearly £2000 a pair and received excellent reviews), so I know they really are as good as my ears tell me they are smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

answer detour over now :oops:

I suppose the real question is do you waqnt a really loud sub (that everyone else hears as well) or one that'll just blend in with the components and add a bit more low end?