heavy clutch pedal, issue?

elliot lupo newman

been driving my lupo for around a year now as my first car, and have recently been driving other newer cars and have realised that the cluth on my lupo is really heavy and after a long period of driving can become "sticky" and even heavier, was wondering if this was the same for everyone or just me?!

i find this too, but i dont think it gets heavier or changes manner, its just in slow traffic, i get tired with it.

if u look at how it works over the gearbox, u are just pulling back a short arm to retract the compression plate. If VW had designed a longer arm at the end of the clutch cable it would have made it a lot easier to depress, instead it appears they ran out of space a bit and gave us all short ones that make it firmer and stiffer to depress. My pedal box, i have previously been told by a vw mechanic, feels "graunchy" but i cant feel any graunchiness, i think he just wanted my money as he knew it is a common problem. Why would i want to pay out to fix something that hasnt borken yet? - anyway, that was 7000 miles ago and its still going fine!

The lupo clutch is very light!!! I had an 09 Cooper S before it- and that was heavy!! All MINI's have heavy clutches- the mk1 even more so.

I couldn't believe how a 10 year old Lupo could have such a light clutch!

The lupo clutch is very light!!! I had an 09 Cooper S before it- and that was heavy!! All MINI's have heavy clutches- the mk1 even more so.

I couldn't believe how a 10 year old Lupo could have such a light clutch!

Yours is hydraulic and self adjusting, his is cable.

Back in your box! :lol:

so its not just me then! cheers for the input, is there anyway of fitting a longer after-market arm at the end of the clutch cable that might make it lighter, really have no idea about this so appologies if thats a silly question!

doubt their is an aftermarket one, but u could make one quite easily, its just a case of moving the clutch cable to the furthest possible point from the bolt to get the largest turning motion. I would need to go outside for a good look to see what sort of space u have to work with, would imagine it is only possible to increase it a small amount but every little helps. You wouldnt want it to bend or break though so would have to be well made!

If it helps, your biting point is easily adjsutable by just moving the bolts on the end of the cable to adjust to preference. (a little change makes a big difference so keep checking how it feels)

If it helps, your biting point is easily adjsutable by just moving the bolts on the end of the cable to adjust to preference. (a little change makes a big difference so keep checking how it feels)

To make the biting point lower, would you move the bolt away from the mount?

Sounds like the pedal box/old clutch issue..

As the clutch gets old it gets stiff, as it gets stiff it puts strain on the cable which in turn puts strain on the pedal box as it is harder to operate the weakest point in the whole system is the pedal box which is why it is the part that gives up and brakes.

The pedal box failure is caused by an old stiff clutch NOT a faulty pedal box (although VW should of put a better weld on the part that gives way to be honest as it sucks).

If your pedal has got stiff and it is getting harder to get it in gear then the box will go at some point.. it may last 7000 miles as above or it may last 7 miles... pot luck. The pedal will not sit at the correct level when it is sitting untouched and will be stiff to operate. Adjusting the cable will not solve the problem.

The boxes are replaceable under a recall as long as your car has not had one before and your local VW dealer is feeling nice (a lot of them refuse to do it :angry2: ) I got mine done on my old Lupo about 5-6 years ago with no issues then replaced the clutch myself as VW will only do the box under the recall. Mine just decided to give up one day and when I had got it all sorted I couldn't believe how light the clutch pedal was compared to how it had been all the time I had owned it :blink:

If you have a mate with a Lupo, give their pedal a push and see if there is any difference to how it feels and where it sits in relation to the brake pedal, that might tell you the answer ;)

To make the biting point lower, would you move the bolt away from the mount?

ive had a little think, and i think so, dont do it too much or it will make the clutch feel quite loose and may not actually pull the gearbox arm back fully.

it wont make the clutch better, but it will be a change of driving style.