Anyone done a 20VT themselves?

Cooper_GTI

Is there anyone on here who has completed the 20VT conversion at home, who is willing to offer me some information to allow me to gather everything i need and obtain the knowledge i'll need.

I have!

Did it in my little garage with a little help from friends with Tig-welding and stuff.

Ive done it for about 2000 in £ :)

A link to my car: http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=74957&st=0&p=886472&hl=norpan&fromsearch=1entry886472

That look awesome mate. Fair play to you!

Can i ask a few questions please? :)

1. Do any of the standard lupo mounts line up? If not, do you weld new ones on, or do you fit a different subframe?

2. Do you use the Lupo hubs and get custom driveshafts made, or can you use turbo hubs?

3. Did anything need cutting to make the engine fit? Such as the bulkhead/slam panel etc.

4. What gear linkage did you use?

That is all! Although i'm sure i'll be hassling you for more information when i'm sat scratching my head in dismay looking at my poorly GTI with no engine/box! :lol:

That look awesome mate. Fair play to you!

Can i ask a few questions please? :)

1. Do any of the standard lupo mounts line up? If not, do you weld new ones on, or do you fit a different subframe?

2. Do you use the Lupo hubs and get custom driveshafts made, or can you use turbo hubs?

3. Did anything need cutting to make the engine fit? Such as the bulkhead/slam panel etc.

4. What gear linkage did you use?

That is all! Although i'm sure i'll be hassling you for more information when i'm sat scratching my head in dismay looking at my poorly GTI with no engine/box! :lol:

1. I´ve used the Mk4 golf mount for the rightside and welded the console from mk4 into the Lupo.

For the left side (gearbox) i´ve used lupo standard upper part but with custom made mount on the gearbox.

2. The Driveshafts i have used is from mk2 16v with Lupo outer joints, the rightside is left untouched in length but the left one

is shortned about 5cm. The hubs is Lupo Standard. I doubt these joints and shafts can handle 250hp but they work fine for 150-200hp,i have

tested them.

a7020111216036f0d.jpg

3. No bigger cuts is needed, only real cuts i´ve made was when cutting and drillig out the old engine console on the right side.

A little cut in right front beam for more clearance was made too. And a bit of "massageing" the front beam with a sledgehammer too :)

fb212010101952e43d.jpg

4. I have a Lupo Gti shifter with Golf Mk4 Gti shiftcables for 02J trans.

About the electrical bit....just take the scheme for the donor car and one for your Lupo and compare wich cable is wich and write it down contact for contact. Then use these charts to compare what cable that should pair.

I have the whole Lupo left untouched and just made me a adaptorcable that fits Lupos contacts.

Only 6 of 18 cables where cut and soldered into the lupo loom, W-line, Rpm-signal for tacho, and a couple more.

Edited by Norpan