Air Filters/CAD

Trebor

Hi all i have been for the last day or two looking at everyones various topics on CAD and Airbox mods and decided to look into it further.

In my initial search i concluded that a replacement filter would suite as the cost of a BMC wasn't warranted considering you don't get any gain the only benifit is and i quote "making your car sound like a charging elephant" good quote.

Further to deciding on panel filter replacement i looked at the different filters available and when i compared the various BMC, Green, ITG, K&N and PX i came across an in depth page as to what was better an OEM paper filter at £3-5 of an after market at £40ish very interesting read i don't profess to know a lot about engines but though it's worth a read for those interested and or considering the previously mentioned.

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/intake/intake.htm#highflowreplacementairfilters

For those of you that still want a BMC i did find a suitable alternative for those not wanting to shell out the premium and it won't break the bank at £40+ postage exactly the same case only difference is the logo that is probably just a sticker and the shape of the cone filter inside the unit amazing what corporate branding can do for a company and the acclaimed gains from the product.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carbon-Fibre-Forced-Cold-Air-Induction-Kit-3%22-Flex-Hose_W0QQitemZ220666647450QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=220248320038&rvr_id=220248320038&cguid=6d691ee012e0a0aa1300ec50fdd57fa4#vi-desc

Hope you all enjoy.

Edited by Trebor

Thanks for this info :)

Will that MIJ fit a lupo sport? correct diameter for throttle body etc?

+ what would i have to do with the oil pipe that runs into the airbox now?

Engine is running like death at the moment now, would this help or make it worse ? :/

Any answer would be greatly apreciated! thanks, Owen

Thanks for this info :)

Will that MIJ fit a lupo sport? correct diameter for throttle body etc?

+ what would i have to do with the oil pipe that runs into the airbox now?

Engine is running like death at the moment now, would this help or make it worse ? :/

Any answer would be greatly apreciated! thanks, Owen

Diameter is 3" or 76mm on the outlet of the induction kit the measurements are on the ebay page and the TB is usually 2.5" or 63mm you can get 76mm to 63mm 90 degree silicone reducer for it to fit the unit.

Breather would need to be connected ideally into the 90 degree reducer as that's the set up with the original air box others have done it i found 2 examples have a look as i have done to much of that lately other option is oil catch tank though first option would be better no oil to get rid of every so often and that is how VW set it up in the standard airbox.

As for engine running like death that doesn't give us any idea what you mean by that an you haven't said what car you are driving?

Would the induction kit help in short no as others have posted on here there are no gains from any of the above mods other than noise or "response" if you read the first link i posted a paper filter is ideally the better option over induction or any other panel replacement as they are made from the same stuff and don't filter as good as they make out.

Use search look through the various threads on here with words like CAD, Induction Kit, BMC or Airbox for ideas.

I have a 1.4 lupo sport (100bhp) i don't really know how to describe the engine issues. When idle it vibrates through the whole car and sounds as if it is stalling, and then picking up with higher revs to as if to compensate then repeats. Often it stalls and 7/10 times stalls after any release of throttle pedal.

Will look up other things now, Thanks again for help, Owen

I have a 1.4 lupo sport (100bhp) i don't really know how to describe the engine issues. When idle it vibrates through the whole car and sounds as if it is stalling, and then picking up with higher revs to as if to compensate then repeats. Often it stalls and 7/10 times stalls after any release of throttle pedal.

Will look up other things now, Thanks again for help, Owen

sounds like a fueling issue to me the car will be in limp mode get it plugged into vagcom asap

sounds like a fueling issue to me the car will be in limp mode get it plugged into vagcom asap

Car runs ok otherwise though, or does operation of throttle pedal take it off limp mode?

Can i get Vagcom myself? or can only garages get it?

Sorry Trebor for hijacking thread!

And thanks for your help dudes! :)

Car runs ok otherwise though, or does operation of throttle pedal take it off limp mode?

Can i get Vagcom myself? or can only garages get it?

Sorry Trebor for hijacking thread!

And thanks for your help dudes! :)

VAGcom is diagnostics a computer in a garage that plugs into the car behind the ashtray to find out faults.

• 4 weeks later...

What he said ^^^^

As for vagcom, there is a free version called VCDS lite. Look on ross-tech website. However you also need a cable (ebay)

It is only good for finding and deleting fault codes, there is very little else you can do with the free version. But by the sounds of it, thats all you need it for!

Jake.