BMC Air Filters Again!!!

Loophole

After reading the previous posts, everyone went off on one about the physics etc and ignored other user's questions. The Questions I would like to know are

A) Best place to get one from

cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> Panel filters - Are these a waste of time? Or are they as loud as The cones????

C) Use Direct air feed pipe or not with the cone style system????

Thanks.

best place is whoever seems reliable and gives a decent price. panel filters are said to be not as loud but quite effective and really easy to fit and BMC ones only cost £35 instead of £150 for the CDA. A direct air feed pipe is arguably better for getting more cold air in, although depending where you put it u could get more bits going into the engine

the problem I got is I have another 2 years warranty, which I do not want to invalidate and the K&N is a pain in the a$$ to keep disconnecting when I have to take the car in for service. I suppose the panel filter is a better option as it can be classed as a servicable item???? Or at least a panel filter can be swapped in 5 minutes instead of taking the induction kit off every time???

mmm, i think the cda is the better choice for sound/power - but i take your point with the warranty. i basically didn't give a monkeys on my old loop, even took it for a service with the bmc on....probs would have regretted it if the engine had blown up though! you can get them from passionmotorsport (put it in google) or gwent vw do them i believe. i got mine from passionmotorsport - excellent back up, friendly and quick!

Why would a warrenty be invalid for having a diffrent air filter on?

How could this cause you engine any problems?

These are the questions VW would have to answer (with proof!) for any invalidation warrenty claim.

This isnt going to happen.

Any modification not carried out by a dealer to a mechanical or electrical part will invalidate your warranty. I used to work in a dealer in North Wales. I dont know what damage is could do, hardly any I guess but as the vehicle is not running as per the manufacturers specification it is classed as being "prone" to faults.

I am still having serious problems with my car so I cannot risk anything of this type, as I am probably gonna have a new clutch and gearbox shortly under warranty! That's what I am aiming for!

But I dont think they would be any wiser with a replacement performance element!

Im sure it can tigz.... If a condition of the warranty is that you dont mess with the engine and fit non standard parts by adding a BMC (or whatever) youve broken the terms of the warranty.

Thing is, some dealerships can be very difficult with warranty work if they see youve modified your car...so it just makes sense not to give them the excuse to fob you off.

QUOTE(DanGTI)
Im sure it can tigz.... If a condition of the warranty is that you dont mess with the engine and fit non standard parts by adding a BMC (or whatever) youve broken the terms of the warranty.  

Thing is, some dealerships can be very difficult with warranty work if they see youve modified your car...so it just makes sense not to give them the excuse to fob you off.

agreed - but then again i don't give a stuff. having said that with the 'apparent' build quality of recent loops i may wait a while beofre doing anything too tasty!

tigz is right

Do a search for warranty on here. Bossjohnc copied the statement from the warranty. Basically you can do anything to the car, but if it goes wrong and VW can prove it was because of the mods then you have to pay. Also adding an air filter will not affect ANY warranty claim on any area not connected to the air filter i.e. suspension, steering etc

Guys I know you think im stupid at times but I know about warentys, I deal with Warrenty Claims 45 hours a week.

An after market air filter will not invalidate you warrenty.

It is a service item.

You pay for it.

They can not stop you fitting your own brand of air filter.

Same as they cant force you into useing their oil.

Its your car.

Not VWs.

It all sounds logical.

I asked that question at local stealers and they said I can do whatever I wish to my car as long as I use original VW parts and 'processes' then my warranty would be fully valid.

I dunno for fact since I have not tried it on my own skin yet...

US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections `2301-2312`

"Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©)."

Vehicle Warranty

"Contrary to what you may have heard or read, in the USA, a K&N Filtercharger will not void your vehicle warranty. The `Magnuson-Moss` Warranty Act, passed in 1975, prohibits a manufacturer from conditioning its warranty of a consumer product upon the consumer using any article or service (other than one provided without charge under the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name, unless expressly authorized by the Federal Trade Commission. If the manufacturer does not provide air filters free of charge, they cannot void the vehicle's warranty simply because you have installed an aftermarket air filter."

Not sure if there is a UK equivalent law for these?

QUOTE(tdwindustries)
but seeing as the law has now changed that means you dont even have to take your car to a VW dealer for servicing in order to maintain the warranty

Although that is true, it has to be done by a VW trained techniction.

Unfortunatly, there are currantly no VW trained technications, outside of VW. :wink:

I told my dealership when I bought the car, they will not be getting my car for serviceing, as I would get one of my engineers to do it.

I quoted this law change and the ervice manager said with a smug look that it had to be a VW trained and qualified techniction.

I explained my guys do warrenty work on our VW vans, so must be VW qualified, and he smearked and said "I know they are not, there is non in the UK".