New Engine

ChristopherReeve

Hi there one again, i just got my car back from the garage and they said i need around £500's worth Of Work done to my engine. I need a new cam belt, thermostat housing, rockercover gasket, new head gasket, the head skimmed and crack tested, i have a air lock what needs flushing through and the last thing is a expansion tank. I have a lupo sport with just under 80k on the clocks.

I'n new to volkswagens engine changes and i know there is loads of threads to conversions but can anyone tell me what VW engine will be the easiest to get hold of for a replacement or conversion? Yes i know no engine conversion is easy but i have done a few honda engine conversion so i can do them myself with mates.

i dont mind what engine it is but i think i heard someone said a polo gti engine is a straight fit? is this true?

Sorry to waste time but my car is booked in on the 28th so need info pretty asap. thanks people!!

Christopher.

ajust get the headgasket done etc, will be cheaper and more reliable than a conversion. Get a few more quotes as this garage week to be over dramatizing it a bit with the like of the air lock as you need to drain the entire coolant system to replace the hg, and if you didn't you only Need to take lid off expansion tank and run engine to temp ;)

ajust get the headgasket done etc, will be cheaper and more reliable than a conversion. Get a few more quotes as this garage week to be over dramatizing it a bit with the like of the air lock as you need to drain the entire coolant system to replace the hg, and if you didn't you only Need to take lid off expansion tank and run engine to temp ;)

Yeah i prob will just get the headgasket done. I have had a few and this is the cheapest one i found, lucky enough he mot's and services all the cars in the household and is a brilliant mechanic! i tried that myself and no luck so far, plus theres loads of oil in the water so it needs a propper flush. Cheers for the help!

I need a new cam belt, thermostat housing, rockercover gasket, new head gasket, the head skimmed and crack tested, i have a air lock what needs flushing through and the last thing is a expansion tank.

Christopher.

When doing the headgasket, all of the above should be done as a metter of coarse. So in essence, all it needs is a headgasket.

You're hardly gonna put the old cambelt on it, if the rocker cover is leaking its a 2 min job, the head should be skimmed incase it is warped from any excess heat and you've gotta drain the coolant, flush it and then bleed it anyhow. They sound like a bunch of scare-mongering c**nts!

In fact, if you've done engine change before a head gasket will be easy. Do it yourself and it'll only cost you about £100. ;)

Edited by Cooper_GTI

Yeah ive done engine conversions but ive never changed a headgasket. they said it needs to be sent away for a crack test too and they always skim it "just in case". yeah i know about the old cambelt, its real shiny now too so its nearly had it anyway, its does 31k since the last belt change so the receipts say.

Yeah ive done engine conversions but ive never changed a headgasket. they said it needs to be sent away for a crack test too and they always skim it "just in case". yeah i know about the old cambelt, its real shiny now too so its nearly had it anyway, its does 31k since the last belt change so the receipts say.

To "send it away"

Put head in ya boot, take to local engineering company, give £40(?) come back later and collect

Many many places do it mate

Right, bad news the engine has now had it so i', not going to bother doing a headgasket. I know a few people has polo gti engines in there lupos. i have a stock 1.4 sport on a 51 plate. does anyknoe know if a polo gti engine will it? obviously i will need all the auxiliary's like engine loom and drive shafts.

a few questions i will a polo gti engine fit with the same engine mounts?

will the polo wiring loom work in the lupo?

what drive shaft do i use?

Thanks everyone for the help!