What on earth is going on with my alarm?

I'd be very grateful if anyone could shed any light on this for me. I have a GTI with standard factory fit alarm and remote central locking.

Symptoms:

My remote fob doesnt work (seperate issue I think) so I manually unlock the car using the key. All locks (drivers door, passenger door and boot) are heard to unlock. The red LED by the door pin continues to flash (and I don't think it used to when I unlocked with the remote fob).

If I open the drivers door the interior light comes on and I can get in and start the car. However, if its windy or I take a long time to put the key in the ignition the alarm will go off. I'm guessing the sensor in the headlining catches me eventually.

If a passenger opens their door (or the boot is opened) before I get the key in the ignition the alarm will sound immediately.

In terms of the alarm going 'off' sometimes it will be siren and indicator flashes but sometimes it will only be indicator flashes (i.e. no siren).

Things I've investigated:

VAG-COM correctly reports that both the passenger and the drivers' door are open/closed when they are and confirmed by interior light coming on at right times. In another measuring block it says unlocked when all doors are locked and unlocked when they are all unlocked (i.e. when pressed lock/unlock on arm rest). When I push the pin down on the drivers door it stays at unlocked but when I push the pin down on the passenger door it says locked. Thing is I'm not entirely sure what that measuring block is supposed to show (all doors or just one?)

Other things to say: the door latch mechanism in the passenger door is relatively new (I replaced it with a brand new part). The key fob works for a while if you strip it down and put it back together (with same battery so maybe loose contact?) but I haven't been able to test what the alarm does when the fob is working.

Input would be greatly appreciated because I can't really afford to have an auto sparky poking round for a couple of hours on top of any parts needed.

Jon

I love Club Lupo but it isn't half frustrating when you go to the lengths of fully explaining the situation to help people help you and no-one replies, especially knowing that if I'd put 'my alarm is broken. any ideas?' I'd have had people trying to help out!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the issue is with the key fob as there is nothing disarming the alarm until the key is in the ignition

I agree. If I lock mine with the fob, and then unlock it with the key, the alarm will go off

I agree. If I lock mine with the fob, and then unlock it with the key, the alarm will go off

OK, I hear what you are saying.

But why doesnt the alarm go off as soon as I open the drivers door like it does with the passenger side and the boot? The only explanation is that is designed like that.

And, I'm not arming the alarm with the fob so why would the alarm arm with the key but not un-arm with it?

OK, I hear what you are saying.

1) But why doesnt the alarm go off as soon as I open the drivers door like it does with the passenger side and the boot? The only explanation is that is designed like that.

2) And, I'm not arming the alarm with the fob so why would the alarm arm with the key but not un-arm with it?

1) Because the micro switch in your drivers door lock is broken.

EDIT: does your fuel pump prime when you open the drivers side door? There is more than one micro switch in the lock mechanism.

2) With regards to the second point, I don't know. I spent ages at VW festival last year trying to lock my car by putting the key in the lock, hoping the alarm would not arm (I wanted to leave the windows down slightly). As soon as anyone walked past the alarm would go off :wacko:

Edited by jon_273

2) With regards to the second point, I don't know. I spent ages at VW festival last year trying to lock my car by putting the key in the lock, hoping the alarm would not arm (I wanted to leave the windows down slightly). As soon as anyone walked past the alarm would go off :wacko:

If you press the button behind the drivers door, it turns off the interior sensors ;)

1) Because the micro switch in your drivers door lock is broken.

EDIT: does your fuel pump prime when you open the drivers side door? There is more than one micro switch in the lock mechanism.

Thanks for the input Jon.

I didn't know there was more than once microswitch. The interior light comes on and VAG recognises a change in state so at least one microswitch must be working.

RE edit: i take it you reckon the other microswitch does the alarm and also the fuel pump? The GTI has never made the same 'whoosh burble' noise the TDI did when I put the keys in the ignition (not opened the door).