trackday 195/50 tyres scrubbing!

vishpish

Hey folks,

Got quite a problem on my hands. I bought a set of 4 195/50/15 Yokohama Advan Ad08 tyres (very highly rated in japan which is where i've got a lot more experience with parts etc) but I neve even considered that running a 50 profile would rub and scrub!

The problem is, I wanted trackday capable tyres (ad08s or r1rs r888s etc) but they simply dont make them in a 45 profile. I'm currently running FK coilovers which have now been raised to give a large arch gap yet there is still scrubbing over bad bumps or through 50+mph cornering! Ah its awful!!! The coilys are really fcked anyway and over the next 8-10weeks I'll be investing in either some KW Variant 1's or a Bilstein B8 sprint damper and H&R/Eibach Spring combo BUT what I need to know is will the tyres still rub and if so....

Is this something that an arch roll could sort or even as a kind of last resort, bolt on arches? I'm setting the car up for fast road/occasional track use - the last thing I want is that horrible rubbing; it is the worst thing!! I want my 165/50 bicylce bridgestones back on :(

There must be folk on here running trackday lowered suspension and R888s or other trackday tyres with a 50 profile without rubbing issues...

hey

before we raised the suspenion up, the tyres were rubbing on the whole arch. But once the suspension was raised up, the rubbing is defo on the outside lip only and thats the front drivers side. The backs do rub on proper fast road driving (last night I was 80+ on a private road) but it does seem like its from the outside lip too...

Heres some photos of the current height - anyone know how much of a drop that looks like from standard?

(sitting halfway up the adjusters on the back and about 3/4s way up on the front)

DSC_1244.jpg

DSC_1233.jpg

Whatever new suspension I get, I'll need a 30mm minimum drop for handling!

If you check Foxy's build thread here he runs r888's on oz rims, 205x50. He did comment that you'd need your arches fully rolling if you want the car lowered with these on.

Edit: Is that mcbeal_88's old Gti?

Edited by RobG

Hey, I just checked out his build thread - some read!

honestly that puts my mind at total ease - i think he said he binned the arch liners too lol!

Dunno who owned the car in the past, but I bought it off a chap from ayrshire who I knew through the forums.

I have 195 50s on 15" rims and had rubbing on bumps or hard cornering.Both front and rear. Especially with rear passengers.

Have now added a rear ARB and a front lower brace.

I think the brace has made most difference and it was pretty cheap.

For track use I think it better to go for a 185 tyre. Can't help feeling the 195 is too much.

I tried out my new Maxsport RB5s yesterday and am amazed by the grip. Soft compound so only really a qualifying tyre.

I have AD08s on my NSX and think they are the mutts ........ but they don't work in very cold weather. Be warned.

Sort the suspension first. Add camber to about 2° neagative on the front, that will help. 195/50 is the size I would pick. Your front wheels have a pretty agressive offset, which wont help.

Also, don't think lowering equals good handling.

yeaah man there are small spacers on the front which i'm going to have a go at removing - the problem is that the corrado g60 brake calipers look like they'll rub the inside of the lensos. I think i'll pop them up for sale and try and get a set of good fitting lightweight wheels with good caliper clearence and offsets...

do you expect to have to roll your arches when you get 195/50's mate?

yeaah man there are small spacers on the front which i'm going to have a go at removing - the problem is that the corrado g60 brake calipers look like they'll rub the inside of the lensos. I think i'll pop them up for sale and try and get a set of good fitting lightweight wheels with good caliper clearence and offsets...

do you expect to have to roll your arches when you get 195/50's mate?

Well people have tried 195/50 on std wheels and they have rubbed.

Thats a pain about the caliper issue.

lol you mean buying my wheels? yeah that would be awesome man...

we did the g60 calipers in a half an hour on mine (thats my mate taking his time n greasing everything) so your welcome to use my garage lol :P

i thought ya meant sell you g60s. i'l pass on the lensos haha.

but sweet anyway i'l need to buy disks first :(