throttle body and inlet manifold

stig beve

hi all, just wondering if anyone on here has ever changed the throttle body and inlet manifold on a 1.4s (drive by wire) to a lupo sport TB and manifold? Its something im looking into doing myself and any light on the topic would be apprectiated.

Few questions i have:

Does it require a remap to see any gains after changing?

Whats the issue with the EGR pipe?

Will it effect the emisions of the car I.E. for MOT time?

The car is currently standard engine wise, bar a BMC enclosed air filter and cold air ducting.

DSCF8935.jpg

cheers steve

Would it run correctly and see any gains without the remap though?

Im sure i read some where that someone had to block off the egr valve as the pipe from the exhaust mani to the inlet was different on a sport?

• 1 month later...

you do have to block off egr valve, i used a blanking washer to put in the hole and screwed the egr pipe back in just to secure it and didnt reattach at other end :)

with the change and no remap, it will increase the cars grunt and after 3500 revs it does start to really move, I have found it can spin up in 2nd and third whilst moving! it does appear to shorten the lower gears alot leaving me having to use 1st for a reasonable pulloff speed, but it revving up high very quickly.

without the rmap it does run quite lumpy but if you leave it for a week r so it does semi adjust itself and start to run a little better, to get the power evenly spread and it running mint i would highly recommend the remap! (Y)

P.S if you are doing this you may need an oil breather and cone filter, or it runs best with a 16v polo airbox :)

my clutch is manual not fly by wire so i had to have the throttle body off of a 6n 16v polo :)

***** if you are doing this conversion i highly recommend using the fuel rail from the donor car too as it can cause some nasty problems if you leave the smaller injectors on and are speeding around alot *****

ideal thanks for the advice.

when you say your clutch is manual im assuming you ment throttle body? or am i missing something.

is this something you have done before?

if it is how much did a remap set you back?