Swedish Lupo 1,4 16V with Rieger front & rear

P.Lindblom

Yesterday I bought a lovely little red Lupo. It’s mainly for my girlfriend who doesn’t like driving her huge BMW E34 during the winter but I realized that the Lupo is actually great to drive so I will be using it as well :)

Here it is

228396-2260093.jpg

228396-2260138.jpg

56311-2260015.jpg

228396-2208093.jpg

It's got Rieger front and rear lips and a Remus exhaust. It also has a K&N induction kit which I'm going to throw away and replace with a standard airbox.

My other car is a Lexus IS200 that I've modified quite a lot since I bought it three years ago.

56311-1864475.jpg

56311-1643885.jpg

56311-1205360.jpg

56311-1368462.jpg

Edited by P.Lindblom

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it's bad luck or if the Lupo is a poor car, but it's given me quite a few headaches this winter.

• The throttle response is really wierd
  • EPC light used to flash a lot and the Check engine light came on a few times during winter. The engine decided to shut down one cylinder a few times.
  • The windscreen washer pump gave up
  • The power windows work when they feel like it
  • The remote unlocks both doors but the passenger door usually locks itself again after less then a second. Why would it do that?
  • When it was really cold condensation in the oil sump (or somewhere in that area) froze and prevented the oil from reaching the head and valves which caused a distinct valve noise and a flashing oil pressure light. Fortunately I was only a few hundred metres from my home so I pushed the car back and let it sit until the outside temperature was above 0 degrees.
  • Yesterday the oil pressure light started flashing again but now I think it's the oil pressure sensor that's busted.

Apart from all that it's a lovely little car :P

Edited by P.Lindblom

The window problems are common, but im not sure about the washer pump on everyone else's but mine did give up.

Yeah, I just found the guide on how to mend the window buttons. Fortunately Lupo spare parts seem to be cheap. I bought a new washer pump for about £15.

• Yesterday the oil pressure light started flashing again but now I think it's the oil pressure sensor that's busted.

It turned out to be the pressure switch. When I unplugged the wire oil was coming out of the plug. I replaced the switch and the problem was solved.

Edited by P.Lindblom