LUPO MISFIRE

TCS

Hi,

I have a 1999 Lupo 1.0. It has full history and a nice little car, the problem I have is that when I am driving it the power seems to come in and out, I have fitted new plugs and a il pack but it has made no difference at all. It seems to tick over okay, no lights on, but it is gutless and you can feel it hesitating all the time, I know it probably needs to go on a machine, but I am in france and it is not so easy and cheap, so I was wondering if anyone has had the same fault.... cheers guys

What plugs did you use?

It had chapion plugs in that were fairly new, but I changed them for some new ones from a motor factors, will have to check names, but there was no difference...

It had chapion plugs in that were fairly new, but I changed them for some new ones from a motor factors, will have to check names, but there was no difference...

I have just had a look,,, It had Champion RC89TMC plugs and I changed them for BERU Z204 14FGR-8CTU plugs if that makes any sense...

its best to use the OEM NGK plugs, Lupos seem to have issues with other brands

Do you think that this could be as simple as this? It has a champion coil pack, and I changed for another which was unnmaed but made no difference? What model are the NGK plugs...thankyou

Im not sure of the specific ones on the 1.0 tbh. For the sake of £20 for a new set its worth a shot. If you search on here Im sure you will find the right number

Okay i will see if I can get some here, but are the champions and berus so bad that they will cause the car to run so bad? if not the coil pack or plugs are there any other common faults known? the coil pack is a one piece unit, and has no leads.

Did you change the HT leads too? Was there any corrossion on them?

There are no HT leads, the coil pack is one unit that sits on top of the plugs,, I changed the plugs and the coil pack.

Doesnt matter then! :lol:

Personallly I would change the plugs to OEM and then go from there. I assume there are no warning lights on etc?

There are no warning lights, but the inspection flashes next to the miles at start up, but I think thats just for service, and it was done 3/4000km ago.

To get rid of that, hold the mileage reset button, keep holding it and turn the ignition on, after a few secs it will show ------, then it has been reset

Cool... :) and then it will run like a swiss watch also..... ;)

Okay I have fitted NGK plugs, and they were longer than the previous ones! Yes it goes better, more power but it still stutters.

I have had it on a diag machine and showed nothing ?

I have noticed the temp guage, it is on 70 most of the time, and I know thats not right.

I made the first trip with new plugs this morning, seemed a lot better, the temp went to 90,, I stopped for some ciggies and when I carries on I noticed the temp was 70!!!! and running not as good,,,, after a few hours parked I came back and went on my way again, the temp was at 70 so I turned the ignition on and off while driving and the temp went to about 80is, then I had a 5 mile descent and the temp went to cold!!!!!!

WTF,,, I live in france , and you should try getting anything sorted here, the dealers are as helpful as a bad aid on a severed limb,, they want over a tenner for one plug! it is bad here to get anything competantly done and the costs are so high its not worth fixing the little lupo at a garage here,

Sounds like a temperature sensor replacement is needed. Luckily, they don't cost the earth.

I am going to get one for it,,I could not even get out the house today with it, as I live on a bank, and it wont go up it !!!!!!

The fuel consumption seems bad, about 200 miles per tank,,, and no power...

My car is a 6X1 - AHT are all the temp sensors the same for this model?

If temp sensor doesnt solve it, you could try cleaning the injectors. They might not be spraying properly.

Ok.. I have now put in a new temp sensor, and also the appropriate seals for the oil filler,,,still the same, added injector cleaner, and so far still the same....I thinkit is time to get rid of it, so far it has cost over 300 and no further forward!!!! thanks for all your help and ideas, I just done know what to try next now,

Changed the fuel filter?

According to the garage no fault codes , the next step was fuel filter, but that was supposed to have been changed, and air filter, but after that who knows?

Such a shame , a lovely little car but gutless is a misunderstanding, and I have been around cars all my life and you know when something is wrong, and this car just feels like something is missing! It had a full service 4000km ago, but then this is france, so chocolate fireguard comes to mind. The car even has a full history and the last owner spent thousands on it, so I cant even say its due to lack of caring.......