Engine pinging/pinking?

Brammo

When my car is under load about 1800 to 2200 revs it is making a pinging noise. Happens mostly when its going up a hill. My dad reckons it could be pinking/pinging and thinks the timing might be very slightly out. Any one had this problem or know how to go about fixing it. It is a lupo sport 95k on the clock serviced very regularly. Normal petrol from esso or bp is put in it.

Sounds about normal for this age of VW, both my Lupo and Polo have done it and my mates golf does the same, i wouldn't worry too much, some people say with the GTi and sport that they run better on super and can stop the pre ignition in some cases!!!! :D

Will putting super in stop it for good? or just the time i run that petrol? Is there any way to stop it all together or do i just let it run its course? Also some people put different spark plugs in do you recommend any?

Also just found out that faulty EGR systems can cause it too. My engine management light is on saying that I have a problem with my EGR. I will strip it down next weekend see if I can find anything.

Edited by Brammo

Most probably the EGR valve then. The petrol will help to an extent, but this won't stop it for good. Spark plugs wise i used and still use the standard VW NGK spark plugs. The way i look at it, they are designed for the engine so do the best job. Bosch cause misfires in most of the varieties of engine in some cases so i wouldn't touch them, but NGk FTW! :D