Possible engine issues?

Hi guys, having one problem after another with my new lupo.

I have noticed that it currently sounds a little bit like a diesel, not a rough sounding one but a derv nevertheless

Does anyone have any experience with what the cause could be or if it's just "one of them things"

It's a 1.4E 16v

Would really appreciate any help as most of my questions seem to go unanswered atm and really don't wanna have to end up at a dealership paying a fortune for them to find out what the issue is when someone on here could help me in less than a sentence.

Is this on startup or just all the time?

Start up is another issue as i get some iffy idling and flat spots upon acceleration for the first 5 minutes or so.

The derv type noise is slightly worse at statup but then just levels out a bit, it doesn't make any real tappety kind of noises and generally sounds ok ish but just a bit diesely

Oil looks and smells ok, level is fine, all other fluids seem ok, plugs are fine other than one had a little bit of oil on it but not in cylinder side so can only assume that is cam cover seepage

What oil is used in it? Its maybe too thin. Flat spots could be to do needing a change of plugs if one had a bit of oil on it.

Not sure what oil is in it as was changed before i bought it, looks pretty clean too.

As were the plugs, oil isn't on the sparky side

Far right plug

DSC04959.jpg

DSC04960.jpg

Throttle body was excessivly grimey too, this is normal ja?

DSC04955.jpg

DSC04958.jpg

DSC04956.jpg

Looks as though you've diagnosed your own problem there! That throttle body is disgustingly dirty. Give it a clean and I guarantee that your car will love you for it!

As friend who breaks VW's said to me.....

"Those 1.4 engines are ****, could sell one everyday."

I would think you have issues in the lubriction system somewhere, oil pump failing, blocked gallery, or pick up pipe.

How much oil does the engine burn?

As friend who breaks VW's said to me.....

"Those 1.4 engines are ****, could sell one everyday."

I would think you have issues in the lubriction system somewhere, oil pump failing, blocked gallery, or pick up pipe.

How much oil does the engine burn?

Doesn't burn any oil that i have noticed

do them engines have variable valve timing? ive come across twin spark alfas sounding like a diesel when the cam variator sticks/faulty. just an idea, tends to happen when theyve been run low on oil at some point.

Flushed it with some Forte for 40 minutes, replaced the filter and put some thinner oil in and it's running alot better atm, will change the oil again in a few weeks and should be all fine with a little luck.

Still sounds a little bit tappity but i can live with that, no real swarf came out but alot of filth bits did tho