Ronal teddys and lowering...

Bage

Hello, I just got a Lupo a couple of weeks ago so I'm pretty new to this (be gentle...) I've been looking at a couple of different things to do with it to make it look a bit nicer.

It's red so I fancied getting some white wheels, possibly Ronal Teddies which come in size 14”x5.5. I had a look on the tyre stretch library but wasn't sure what size tyres I would need to get just a slight stretch.

The next question I have is about lowering and it relates to the first question; with whichever tyre size I would need, how far would I be able to lower my car without scrubbing(without modifying the arches)? I saw a pic of one car which had been lowered 40mm and it didn't look as low as I would like to go...

Thanks in advance.

Bage :)

Welcome to the forum! :)

Don't even attempt to stretch tyres on a set of teddies, you'll end up in a ditch as they'll be like push bike tyres!

The amount you can lower the car all comes down to the offset of the wheel (ET) as much as it comes down to the width of the wheel. On teddies you shouldn't have too much trouble going very low.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Don't even attempt to stretch tyres on a set of teddies, you'll end up in a ditch as they'll be like push bike tyres!

The amount you can lower the car all comes down to the offset of the wheel (ET) as much as it comes down to the width of the wheel. On teddies you shouldn't have too much trouble going very low.

Hi there!

ahh really? hmm. that's a bit of a downer. what's the reason for that?

And when you say very low... roughly how low? (is it possible to change the offset by putting spacers or something in, or is this unchangeable, like dependent on the wheel itself? Sorry if that's a stupid question...

The wheels are 5.5" wide which means you'll need to put a tyre thats significantly less than 5.5" wide on to get a stretch.

There's several cars on here have run teddies before and been plenty low enough on coilovers. The offset of the wheel wont change, it's the difference between the distance from the mating face of the wheel where it bolts to the hub and the centre line of the wheel. You can however add spacers to space a wheel with a very high offset but you shouldn't need to do this.

Ah right, thanks very much. So I'm guessing 5.5's pretty thin for a wheel then?

My last car was lowered on springs but I've been reading a lot on here about lowering and one of the main things people seem to be saying is that if you want to go lower than 40mm that you should use coilovers. How easy is it to adjust a cheap set of coilovers? Is it something that a garage are going to have to do or is it easy enough?

cheers

Yeah 5.5" is quite narrow, you'd end up putting like 135 width tyres on it to achieve any stretch at all. Most run between 6 and 8" without too many problems and can get a nice level of stretch. There's a few people running 9" wheels on the back of Lupo's too.

I'd say 90% of the users on here have fitted their own coilovers, however you will need to take the car to a garage once it's been done to have the geometry checked, otherwise you'll wear out tyres in no time!

You can adjust the height of coilovers yourself quite easily, even on the budget ones just make sure you grease them up well before fitting them or the will seize.

Yeah 5.5" is quite narrow, you'd end up putting like 135 width tyres on it to achieve any stretch at all. Most run between 6 and 8" without too many problems and can get a nice level of stretch. There's a few people running 9" wheels on the back of Lupo's too.

I'd say 90% of the users on here have fitted their own coilovers, however you will need to take the car to a garage once it's been done to have the geometry checked, otherwise you'll wear out tyres in no time!

You can adjust the height of coilovers yourself quite easily, even on the budget ones just make sure you grease them up well before fitting them or the will seize.

Ahh right, that must be quite narrow then! ha. Thanks very much for the advice there, really helpful mate.

Cheers

Do you know the reasoning behind it other than it " looking Pretty"

yeah, wasn't it originally because of a law a german town that made people have their tread underneath the arches, but because people wanted wider wheels on they stretched to get around the law?...

Its the same laws in england , so knowing that .....................................

ah i give up ...........

(and you only need to stretch if your running wide wheels...)

Its the same laws in england , so knowing that .....................................

ah i give up ...........

I know what you're getting at but you asked for the reasoning behind it, not why I intended to do it. I told you already it's cos it looks cool. sorry mam