Lupo 1,0 only runs on 3 cylinders

Flapjack

good day everybody,

e

I got a lupo 1,0 mpi 2001, open air in green, yes fantasia green.

Worked perfectly fine until a few days ago, were it started to run like piss and the engine light kept flashing. Pushed it back to work and the day after i got a dude to plug in the computer. So far so good, missfire(or no fire) in cylinder number four. Before i did that i cleaned the throttle body and all the basically everything else. Now i thought oh well must be the spark plugs changed two of them(yeah im cheap) the furthest to the left and furthest to the right. No change still sounds the same, cables and everything looks fine from what i can see. Before i start buying a new cable set for a lot of money(i live in sweden) i would like to know if that most likley will solve my problem or if it can be anything really serious.

I am the second owner on it, and it has been well taken care of, only got 80000km on the meter. An old lady had it before.

Appreciate any help, it drives me mad, have to drive a volvo 945 now that takes 10times as much fuel as the lupo, plus i miss the roof.

/Marcus

Is there not enough length on two of the HT leads to change them over and see if the misfire moves to that cylinder , if it does then there is the problem , if it doesn't then you can rule out leads and stick with the plugs, coil pack.

It could also be fuelling so could be an injector too.

Is there not enough length on two of the HT leads to change them over and see if the misfire moves to that cylinder , if it does then there is the problem , if it doesn't then you can rule out leads and stick with the plugs, coil pack.

It could also be fuelling so could be an injector too.

yeah i can at least switch 2 at a time. 1+2 and 3+4. weird thing is that i could swear the cylinder all the way on the left isnt working, which would mean number 1, the computer said 4 though. Can i take out the plugs connect them to the leads and see if there comes a spark or can stuff go terribly wrong?

yeah i can at least switch 2 at a time. 1+2 and 3+4. weird thing is that i could swear the cylinder all the way on the left isnt working, which would mean number 1, the computer said 4 though. Can i take out the plugs connect them to the leads and see if there comes a spark or can stuff go terribly wrong?

Yes you can do that, earth the plug on the engine.

Oh and fit another two plugs.

first thing to try is test the plugs against the rocker cover to see if they spark
if one doesn't try a different plug
if you test it and all the plugs spark you have a problem with either fuel or compression
if still no spark try a different lead on same outlet on coil pack if this sparks it's your leads
if not it most likely your coil.

Started measuring the resistance on the leads today and they all were the same, 6.2-6.4, disconnected one lead at a time and on 2 of them it started to die immediatley. There were sparks at the coil pack when i took the leads of. Strong on 3 of them and a little weeker on one of them(however not the one for cylinder 4) the one who had the weakest spark was also further away from the closest metal. Switched wires still no change.

Starting to suspect that in has something to do with the injectors. How can i check, that, can i clean it or do i have to buy a new one?

did not try to earth the plugs to the engine since i was alone and i couldnt have turned of the engine at the same time as i hold the plug.....hmmm

Or swap a known working one with the suspected faulty one and see if the fault follows the injector .

Left it in at a friends workshop today who owned me a favor, and it turned out that one lead was not working properly plus that one contact of the coil pack was bad. It was not the same contact as the bad lead had so sometimes it ran on 2 cylinders and sometimes on 3. He also checked the comp in all the cylinders which looks beautiful. He cleaned them aswell.

All in all 4 new spark plugs, 4 new HT leads, one coil pack used from an older vw caddy. Runs like a dream again just need to get rid of the check engine light(not flashing though). Perhaps disconnecting the batterie might solve that.

Thanks for all your help, seems like changing the coil pack, plugs, and leads is a good thing to do on all used cars, since it runs smoother now.

Left it in at a friends workshop today who owned me a favor, and it turned out that one lead was not working properly plus that one contact of the coil pack was bad. It was not the same contact as the bad lead had so sometimes it ran on 2 cylinders and sometimes on 3. He also checked the comp in all the cylinders which looks beautiful. He cleaned them aswell.

All in all 4 new spark plugs, 4 new HT leads, one coil pack used from an older vw caddy. Runs like a dream again just need to get rid of the check engine light(not flashing though). Perhaps disconnecting the batterie might solve that.

Thanks for all your help, seems like changing the coil pack, plugs, and leads is a good thing to do on all used cars, since it runs smoother now.

You need to have the car plugged into VAG-COM to put out the engine check light.

VW will charge you around £30 for this or you can do it yourself for around £10 with a dodgy cable from Ebay, provided you have a laptop running Windows XP.

You need to have the car plugged into VAG-COM to put out the engine check light.

VW will charge you around £30 for this or you can do it yourself for around £10 with a dodgy cable from Ebay, provided you have a laptop running Windows XP.

thanks mate will go there tomorrow, planing on getting a proper vag-com cable in future anyways.

will get that one for now:

http://www.tradera.com/item.mvc/viewitem/119127393

any good?

is the software included in all of them?

Edited by Flapjack