Unsure what to do.

LiamD

After quite a bit of deliberation I've decided to get shot of the VR - it's currently for sale on various forums and Pistonheads, etc. I did want to go down the VRT route, but I would kill myself, I've considered another G40, but I would want a mint one and I can't find a decent lock up/garage close to my house to store such a car and keep it mint.

Once the VR sells and added to what little cash I have saved at the moment I expect to have about 1500 quid, so I could buy a car then. I have a daily for the winter so if I carried on saving a little through November/December/January I could realistically have about 2.5-3k to play with, if I wanted something a bit nicer.

Any ideas what to look at? It must be reasonable on running costs, ideally better on fuel/insurance than the VR and definitely something slower, but not too slow :lol: I want creature comforts and the ability to carry passengers in comfort (which unfortunately rules out the Lupo)

First thought for me was an Octavia VRS. Maybe a Passat TDi, or a Mk4 Golf TDI/GTi, Bora, etc. You get the idea.

Ideally I'd like to keep it VAG, but something genuinely interesting could sway me. I'd rather lick a hobo's arsehole than own a Mk3 Ibiza Cupra before anyone suggests one.

I like the 850R's but the dash is a bit, meh, and insurance and running costs are huge. 20mpg is a rarity! Few close friends have had them.

The Fords don't do anything for me.

Keeping with the 5 pot theme, I have serious horn for Fiat Coupe 20v turbos. Just a little dubious over day to day reliability.

An S14 200SX would be nice, but finding a clean one in budget wouldn't be easy.

Just a little dubious over day to day reliability.

Catastrophic I would say!

If you have another car just keep saving till something special comes along - no point in blowing your load prematurely if you dont need to

that's probably the case. I normally save money in the winter due to hibernation then waste it all in the Summer. I've spent all this year paying off various debts and my overdraft, I'd now like to save my money towards something nice and treat myself. :lol: i refuse to take out another loan for a car so I have to save my pennies.

Sensible head says VAG diesel or something 20vT. Maybe a Honda.

Not so sensible side says 200sx/BMW of some sort.