Classic Minis?

JoshB&D

My brother owns a classic Mini. Not a cooper though.

He uses it for work every day not heard him complain once about the size of it, he's 6ft so squeezing in behind the steering wheel can be a pain some times. He recently fitted the front seats out of a vauhxal tigra into it. Made up brackets for the seat subframes, wich was pretty easy, and bolted them in. The brackets where desinged to bring the seats back to give a bit more room.

geting four adults in is a bit tight and gets cramped on long runs.

Shove new cones and shocks in it and they ride pretty well, sicks like **** to a rug round corners.

The hardest thing to deal with is the rust. Its had quite a large amount of rust cut out and new metal welded in.

Hope this helps :)

Agreed, the Mini was and still is an everyday car for four people! There's more than enough room for two up front, just like a Lupo. If you're taller, seat hinge mounts can be extended, steering column dropped. It's a doddle and for less than a few pints and kebab.

I've been toying with the idea of getting another as a long term project, built with modern longevity and predictability in mind rather than anal restoration or acceptable 'period' mods. Trouble is, they are getting more and more expensive. In the long run, a Heritage shell or Japanese import might be a better starting point for what I want.

For sheer mentalness, there's a superb Cosworth 4x4 project on Passion Ford.

haha cheers guys :)

i do realy want one, but im stuck between a MK1 Golf and a Mini :(

its so much easier to find a mini that i can insure than a mk1...

and ive always wanted a mini since i was a kid.

and can they be made pretty quick with a few little engine mods?

people told me they pull well with a stage 1 kit...

they do seem a fun car :)

Pretty Quick is relative. They respond well to breathing mods, but to get the best, you need a decent head. The small valves are very well shrouded and flow is crap.

A stage 2 head, LCB exhaust manifold, sensible diameter system and replacement inlet manifold with a single SU to suit will see things perk up no end :shades:

1.25 or 1.5 Roller rockers and cam make that even better, but it's an engine out job for the cam. Costs aren't too bad if you're willing to do the work yourself, but a rolling road session is a must.

Of course, this was from when I was 19 working on a 1980 998cc Mini, some 21 years ago.

Edited by IDGM

Photo0088.jpg

I like that, especially as it's under a standard length round nose. I was wondering about the possibility of using a Ford 1600 Zetec-S & IB5 because they are reasonably compact and the all alloy block. But then I thought, bugger it, it'd be easier swapping them into a KA for just as much fun.

plenty of room lol!! the only problem with ford engines is that the gearbx is too big.

for the white clubman , it now runs 187bhp. by nxt season its getting a formula 3 racing head and then should be good for 350-400bhp lol!!!

Edited by north wales loop

• 4 weeks later...