Iain from StatusUnknown

eg-iain

Hey everyone,

I got told to join off a mate as i'm looking to buy a Lupo sport or maybe 1.0L. After being in a mates and looking at the prices of the sports for how new they are it seems like a good choice as i have had the worst of luck recently with cars.

I started off with being a honda boy and have had 3 eg civic's one big project which ended up with a b16b engine from the ek9, then sold that to learn how to drift with a Nissan 200sx (s13) which old mate at work crashed into and is now in a scrap yard, after this i saved up and bought a nice example of an mr2 which was ruined sadly after a month when a woman driver pulled out in front of me on the way to an interview :( and last but not least i bought another 200sx which managed to drive 1min 30 seconds down the road to a pertol station till i found there was a hole in the fuel tank :(.

So that brings me up to date haha.

If your wondering what the status unknown is, it's my blog i've been running for around a year and a bit now with my mates cars etc, if you fancy a look check it out at www.statusunknown.co.uk

Cheers

Iain

wow, that is some bad luck...

could you not have put a new fuel tank on or are you just looking to get away from Jap after the experience?

Lupo's have their faults, and a lot of them on old cars!

check straps on doors just wear away, gearboxes <_<, pedal box, clutch cables stretch, wiper joint arm deteriorates, interior handles wear bad, coin tray and cup holder get stuck, plenty more but my memory is big enough to store them all

just get the best one you can find & preferably completely standard

rust on roof & boot handle is common

Thanks for the welcome post think thats the most helpful welcome post i've ever had mate! I've heard aboyut the gearbox issues as ive seen a few for sale. Is there any certain millage to look out for where it would be a no go.

Yeah mate i did put a new fuel tank on it skidded it about for a while and sold it as i was getting sick of poor mpg etc and wanted something alot more reliable and newer.

Edited by eg-iain

The most economical Lupo is a 1.4S or 1.4E not the sport (75bhp models)

The 1.0L is under powered and any motorway driving drinks fuel.

The GTI is a 1.6 however is actually more economical than the 1.4 Sport!

The sport is thirsty by nature.

Phase has pointed out most of the things that tend to go wrong. Another one to point out is the 1.4 engines wear valve stem seals and piston rings in later life or if they have had infrequent service intervals.

With the exception of pedal boxes, gearboxes and all the oily engine jobs they are all quite easy things to fix.

Welcome! Good choice of car (however I went for an Arosa), I'd go for the 1.4 Sport or 1.4 S/SE/TDI - depending on if you want insurance saving and a slightly cheaper car or something a bit nippier. You can check out the stats of the Lupo here. They aren't too bad reliability wise, just check the forums on what to look out for before buying. If you do get a problem there is a lot of advice on here, parts are normally easy to get and a lot of the time can just be small fix for something that seems worrying,

Edited by jackthewelshman

Thanks for the info chaps :D

I dont really do any motorway driving so i guess a 1.0l wouldn't be to bad. Just want it to be reliable and on it's arse like my old teg (although that wasn't reliable :()

So would you recomend getting one standard as i've seen for example a clean 1.0 with 50k miles for 1.4k and also seen a 1.0 with a 1.4 sport conversion with coilovers with double the millage but had new gearbox last week.

If you were in my shoes what you think would be the better choice?

1.0L 50k miles - http://edinburgh.gumtree.com/edinburgh/17/64865217.html

Lupo with conversion - http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/18/63518218.html

Thanks for the info chaps :D

I dont really do any motorway driving so i guess a 1.0l wouldn't be to bad. Just want it to be reliable and on it's arse like my old teg (although that wasn't reliable :()

So would you recomend getting one standard as i've seen for example a clean 1.0 with 50k miles for 1.4k and also seen a 1.0 with a 1.4 sport conversion with coilovers with double the millage but had new gearbox last week.

If you were in my shoes what you think would be the better choice?

1.0L 50k miles - http://edinburgh.gumtree.com/edinburgh/17/64865217.html

Lupo with conversion - http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/18/63518218.html

According to the advert it isn't a 1.4 sport engine

had a 1.4 8v conversion still loged as a 1.0

Personally I'd be sceptical about the quality of any engine conversion and I'd probably go for the standard car and make it my own.

That's just my opinion however!