Tigz new motor!

Tigz™

Not Really but heres a pic of me goin over the mountain a Cadwell park about 4 years ago. Bikes not exactly clean but you get the idea.

meonhornet1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Not Sure but you may have to widen the swingarm on the gs to get a wider wheel? Expensive.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not as hard as you'd think.

Take a look

D.I.Y. `1988-89` GSXR 750 rear wheel(4.5x17) onto a GS500E swap

(Should take about 1 hour with hand tools!!!)

PARTS NEEDED:

1 GS500E

2 `1988-89` GSXR 750 4.5x17 rear wheel with 150/`60-17` tire installed,

also with bearings installed and rear rotor

3 one extra axle washer....about 1mm thick

4 NEW rear wheel bearings....(for the anal people)

SPECIAL TOOLS NEEDED:

1 Hacksaw

2 File

3 Caliper (or something to measure 10mm with)

u will tigz, its very noticeable, even going from a 140 rear to a 150 its noticable and changing front from a 100 to 110 u can notice the difference. if ur riding it daily and not gona be a looney i would have the wider rear for stability. but only if ur sure it a direct swap, i have my worries, but im sure u know what ur doing. just make sure the chain is still inline and u got enough space for the wider tyre to pass swingarm! Will u need spacers? u need to ask urself many questions, the chain would be the main one, i dont think the sprokets would be inline (and u cant bodge that, they must be inline or u have problems)!

I know that a favoured mod on the 96 Aprilia RS125 I owned is to downsize the rear because it is massively overtyred for a 125 stroker. Supposedly makes it handle better. I never did it though

Read in Bike mag and on the web (can't find the link, have been looking this morning as well) that Kawasaki found when developing the `ZX-10` that a 180 section rear tyre gave the greatest feedback and lap times, but they fitted a 190 because "wider is perceived to be better by the majority of buyers"

yeah most buyers tho they like to think it, arnt all out racers. yeah mate had the limited edition rossi rs125 and it has a 150 section and he has a VRF400 with a 140.lol far too big that rear section 140 would be over enough to!

QUOTE(twisty `b-road`)
The wider it is the larger the diameter of the carcass of the tyre, making it more effort to get to the edge, and the faster you go the more effort you need to lean the bike

Ah I see. Shame would have looked a cool edition sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Oh well, keep looking then I suppose...

Ok guys, need more advice.

I was concidering a RGV250 rear shock to raise the rear end slightly, but I was unsure if the bike may have been a little too heavy for it.

Ive come accross an advert on my friendly GS Forum (yes I know my classifieds addiction is gettin no better...)

QUOTE(ex GS owner)
GSXR 750 WN shock, modded to fit GS. Already cleaned up and ready to go on (lifts rear end so makes for quicker turning but normally needs centre stand removing and sidestand extending). £40 plus postage. This gives you damping, preload and rebound adjustment.

Thoughts?

Im picking up a 31mm diamiter spring hi bush off a Layland 55 tonight to make some spaces.

Gonna try that, first if it still needs sorting I can get some Paragon progressive springs for £50.

Just wanna try these spaces first.

Do you think the shock will be ok for the bike if the front was right?

About the spaces?

None of them have ever done it. It looks like the Americans do it regular, obviously America know nothing about suspention but I havn't been able to find any bad issues with it.

It only cost £4 for the part so if its ***** I can always change it for progressive springs.

It just seems silly not trying it.

Ok this is what Ive bought today.

`670Picture_10_-med`.jpg

QUOTE(twisty `b-road`)
What do the GS lot say?

Ive just found this on the American GS Forum.

uk seems to be lagging behind really sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Looks like it could take some fitting.

Not just from what the GS peeps say, but cos I'll have to fit a 01+ rear end.

Old style rear end

New shape with home made LEDs

Reading through the Americans forum, the smooth under belly cant be bought for the GS.

Although this mod may help, it'd still need the rear end swapping for newer model as I dont like the square shape on mine.