Intermittent ABS light

Just sniffing around to see if anybody has had this problem before I get VAGCOM going next week...

My ABS light came on about 3 months ago and I left it until the summer because of studies, poor finances, the car wasn't being driven much etc. and the car passed the MOT despite this, therefore assumed it wasn't a major problem.

The brakes have been fine, but then the ABS light will go out and the brakes will then become slightly spongy and a little juddery (although still safe and stopping the car!)

This happened for the first time last weekend for about 2 minutes and then the ABS light came back on and everything was fine! That was a 5-hour round trip. It's now happened again today on an average 30 minute run and now I'm not sure I want to take any more chances before it's sorted.

Discs and pads were all replaced in September therefore fairly sure this isn't the problem.

Has anybody else had this problem? If anything, I would expect these symptoms while the ABS light was on :blink:

ABS Pump could need bled?

That wouldn't explain why it's fine and then plays up for 2 minutes here and there.

I'm inclined to say it's a problem with the ABS sensor but I havn't seen this problem before.

You need VAG-COM! Could me many things. In the mean time, pull the plug from the ABS pump and spray the contacts with some WD40 or simular. the plug comes off by pulling the slider out 90° from the direction the plug comes out(There is a little handle to pull out).

does it feel like the abs is kind of kicking in? tends to be lower speeds but not under hard braking? if so check if it has abs pick up ring on the cv joint, if so slowly turn the driveshaft and check the ring, ive come across thiss prob on other manufacturers, what you might find is the ring is very corroded or the ring have a crack in it, so intermittantly when you brake it will read the larger gap and confuse itself thinking your locking up and the abs does funny things. might be it, depends if it has a castleated ring or magnetic. hope you get somewhere.

Cheers lads, looks like I have the day off tomorrow so I'll have a gander :)

Driven the car about 20 miles today and the issue hasn't reoccurred... confusing stuff

• 2 weeks later...

So finally got VAGCOM (only sort of VAG that I did get this weekend) and it says RHS Front Sensor - Intermittent

Will try and have a look-see after work tomorrow...anybody have any experience changing it?

Yep. Its one bolt. Can be hard work getting old one out and new one in as its an interference fit. I had to smash the old one to get it out and shave a bit of plastic from the new one to get it to go in.

• 1 month later...

finally got around to sorting this out and after finding that it wasn't the ABS ring, had to literally smash the old one to pieces to get it out and then shave the new one to get it to go in...problem solved, now for the MOT :sweating:

i thought about doing that but the way it had been shaved, there was a danger that it might twist and become misaligned with the ABS ring

it took 75000 odd miles to go wrong so hopefully it's another 75000 until it dies again lol