Alarm problem when passenger door opened before drivers door

Got a confusing problem with my 2000 VW Bora which friendly Lupo owners might be able to help with . .

When I unlock the car I have to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the point before starting otherwise the alarm will sound after a few moments.

The problem is worse when I have pasengers as the alarm will sound if someone opens a door before I have opened the drivers door and placed the key in the ignition. Not a problem if it's just me using the car but I have to tell passengers to wait before opening their doors.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Cheers, Clive

Do you have to Unlock the car with the key, or do you use the remote?

Have you had it plugged in to VagCom to see if any fault codes are coming up?

hmm, in theory the alarm shouldn't go off at all if you use the remote locking.

It is designed to go off after 15 seconds (or so) if you unlock using the key as the lock mechs are so easy to circumvent.

Thanks for the guidance - interior light works as it should. Will double check what happens when I use the remote to unlock but hopefully get any fault codes cleared at some point as the air bag light has been on for a while.

The airbag light is probably going to be the driver/passenger seat airbag. They can momentarily disconnect if the seat has been 'slid' back hard.

Just double check that the alarm does indeed set off when you use the remote. Really you shouldn't be using the key at all to unlock the doors.

Well would you believe it - tried the remote key which my partner has and it appears to work fine after all - I can unlock all doors and open any of them before the drivers door and the alarm will not go off. Also do not need to put the key in the ignition.

Didn't realise using the manual key would be different - I thought if I double turned the key to unlock all doors it would be the same but obviously not . . .

Thanks for your help :)