I have a rock

dxg

So, I go to crack the Lupo out for the summer. Much later than normal this year because I've been so busy. So busy, in fact, that I haven't checked on it in the last few months.

Stone. Cold. Dead.

Trickle charger showing an error code. Battery not even given a continuity reading, let alone a voltage one.

That will teach me for not checking every couple of weeks like I did last winter. I guess you can be just *too* busy at work.

Time for the RAC. I'll leave it until after the bank holiday weekend, I think.

And the worst thing? It's an RAC battery that's in it, which I'm sure is less than year old and would be covered, but I can't find the receipt...

:(

Edited by dxg

battery is completely dead - as in open circuit dead - the mileage isn't even displayed in the dashpod

it may have been flat for a couple of months or so. I guess they don't like that

I will check the charger on my other car (unfortunately no jump leads) but I recon it's going to be new battery time ad it can't be good to sit empty like that

I wonder what will happen with the immobiliser?! the rac guy can sort that out (even if it means towing it to vw)

this car is getting expensive with things like this. it's due its cambelt this year as it is four years since the last one. in all that time it has done about 7 thousand miles. maybe I should sell it. been having that thought too many times this winter. then I'll drive it and the though will be gone...

Edited by dxg

even if u had any car u would still have to buy a new bat and change the cambelt, like al said this winter has been a harsh battery killer,,

• 2 weeks later...

Really strange morning.

Just couldn't bring myself to take her out for a spin. Head was full of "what's the point?" thoughts.

Still, took her out, sorted out the tyre pressures. Let the ECU find a new idle (because its memory is gone from being deader than a dead thing).

Then...

... took her out and *immediately* fell back in love. :wub:

Compared with the VRS: okay, it's slower, but the heaver, weighted steering; the way-better feedback through the suspension and the seat of your pants; and the noise!

I'd forgotten just what it's like to get power from revs rather than torque. After letting her warm up, there was a fair amount of "enthusiastic" driving, in the hope that the ECU will learn that new style...

Anyway, fun times!

Edited by dxg

Told you so!

My GTI spend most of its time living in the garage and I often wonder why I have it sat there. As soon as I get back in it I realise how much I love driving it! Petrol is more fun than diesel for 'enthusiastic' driving.

At the end of the day it's a car; it's meant to be driven. Enjoy!