Serviced my GTi today - brakes feel different, normal?

ry203

Hi,

As I'm a poor student, I serviced my GTi myself today after the 'oil service' notice came up on the domoeter. Changed my oil with carplan 5w 40 as it was recommended by the motor factors (if anyone is adament its crap and I've used the wrong one, I'll treat it as a clean out batch and drain it again with what should be used) :).

I also bled the brakes and replaced the fluid with new dot 4 fluid using a gunsen easy bleed kit (the one that connects to a tyre for pressure in the brake system). The question I have is that now that I have done this, the brakes feel different, I wouldn't say they felt spongy as such but they do seem to have more travel on the pedal whereas before the pedal felt very hard, as if there were little servo aid. Is this normal after a fluid change or have a stuffed something up? :S. There's no air in the system for definite as I ran nearly a full bottle of new fluid through the system before closing it out.

Cheers,

Ryan

Rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver.

Thats right, and tbh, as long as you are just running new fluid through, it doesn't matter. I would take a few pumps out of each caliper in the old fashioned manual fashion.

Ok, ill do that... Just confused why it feels different as its imposible to have air in after the amount i ran through. It still brakes fine, just more progressively and does'nt have such a harsh feel when u press the pedal....mayb just new fluid???

Perhaps the seal on the res or the bottle wasn't that great and was letting air in?

I used to like my ezbleed then it started being a pain in the arse, it popped off once so it got thrown into the pit never to be seen again.

Not nice having to clean brake fluid off a freshly painted bay as quickly as possible!

Ok, ill do that... Just confused why it feels different as its imposible to have air in after the amount i ran through. It still brakes fine, just more progressively and does'nt have such a harsh feel when u press the pedal....mayb just new fluid???

Yes, I had the same thing on my mums car(Golf), although she never noticed a difference.