Alright

Akisanya

Hey, I'm Rob. I'm gonna start learning to drive in April, and I was thinking of getting a Lupo as my first car.

I did want a 1.4, but I think I might have to have a 1.0 instead 'cause of the insurance. Was thinking of modifying it a bit as well (not too much- just wheels, and coilovers), but I don't think I'll be able to because of how much the insurance goes up. I was wondering if any of you had one for a first car, and modified it, what you did about the insurance?

Also, which models have cup holders? Haha I looked through the spec thread, but I couldn't tell if it was just the early Lupos that came without or only the S models got them or what.

Edited by Akisanya

1999 lupos didnt come with cupholders as standard

They were an additional extra when being purchased

Later models which came with the 2nd generation dash came with the cup holders

I have a 1.4 sport as my first car with everything declaired. Its slammed and has induction etc

Its expensive but I didnt really mind, thought if pay a little extra and be able to keep up with my mates who are older with faster cars

Look at getting insured with quinn they are easily the best for first time drivers

Sam

Yeah I've looked at Quinn. On a 1.4 insurance is about £2400, but if I use the postcode of a side street just a bit down the road from me, it goes down to around £1800. I'm guessing it's cause this is a really long lane.. so I thought if I rang them up and said I kept it in a garage, which I will, the insurance might go down a bit. But yeah Quinn's still the cheapest I've found so far.

And thanks for the cup holder info haha, couldn't understand why some Lupos had them and some didn't.

Yeah I've looked at Quinn. On a 1.4 insurance is about £2400, but if I use the postcode of a side street just a bit down the road from me, it goes down to around £1800. I'm guessing it's cause this is a really long lane.. so I thought if I rang them up and said I kept it in a garage, which I will, the insurance might go down a bit. But yeah Quinn's still the cheapest I've found so far.

And thanks for the cup holder info haha, couldn't understand why some Lupos had them and some didn't.

Seeesh 2400

Thats more than im paying with all my mods and on the group 6 sport model

They must really hate your street, lots of people must have claimed in it for damages etc

Oh and not a problem

The cup holders come up on here every now and again so if you get the first dash just look out on the for sale section

Sam

welcome to club lupo matey, i have one of 1999 e, and u can get a cup holder set from vw, it goes under the stereo in the bottom din slot, think its about 30 quid from vw, but ide deff go for a newer model as they also got power steering, mine dont have it and steering on wide wheels from a stop is a nightmare, mine is also the 1ltr but i dont think its that bad slownes wise, u could do worse like a corsa 1ltr, all in all though ide go for a later 1.4 standard or sport, or even the tdi one, hope this helps,,

Hiya newbie :)

I've just bought my first car and shes a Lupo. I went for a 1.4 as I am a bit older and a girlie so I think my insurance might be a bit lower. I've been quoted about £500-£600 for the year.

I think a Lupo is a great choice for a 1st car. The only other thing I was looking at was a KA but I have always wanted a Lupo so glad I managed to find one :-)

I noticed you mentioned cupholders.... I think they came as standard from a certain age maybe Aug 2001 for the 1.0

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/equipment/Detail.aspx?deriv=16276

I don't know if anyone can help me but my Lupo has two cupholders at the front... but one is missing the cover :( does anyone know where I could get hold of another cover and if it's possible just to attatch it on? or will I have to replace the whole thing? thank you

welcome to club lupo matey, i have one of 1999 e, and u can get a cup holder set from vw, it goes under the stereo in the bottom din slot, think its about 30 quid from vw, but ide deff go for a newer model as they also got power steering, mine dont have it and steering on wide wheels from a stop is a nightmare, mine is also the 1ltr but i dont think its that bad slownes wise, u could do worse like a corsa 1ltr, all in all though ide go for a later 1.4 standard or sport, or even the tdi one, hope this helps,,

Yeah I think I'll end up getting a 1.4. I'm gonna have to pay a lot for insurance and the difference between a 1.0 and 1.4 isn't much so it doesn't really matter. Thanks :)

Hiya newbie :)I've just bought my first car and shes a Lupo. I went for a 1.4 as I am a bit older and a girlie so I think my insurance might be a bit lower. I've been quoted about £500-£600 for the year.I think a Lupo is a great choice for a 1st car. The only other thing I was looking at was a KA but I have always wanted a Lupo so glad I managed to find one :-)I noticed you mentioned cupholders.... I think they came as standard from a certain age maybe Aug 2001 for the 1.0http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/equipment/Detail.aspx?deriv=16276I don't know if anyone can help me but my Lupo has two cupholders at the front... but one is missing the cover :( does anyone know where I could get hold of another cover and if it's possible just to attatch it on? or will I have to replace the whole thing? thank you

Yeah I think Lupos look like a really good first car, and not too common like a lot of first cars haha. Oh and I don't know if this topic helps about your cupholder cover; http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=62782 - looks like it should be no. 35 on there.

I got a 1.4 75bhp Lupo for my first car because the insurance was not much more than the 1.0 (and I really wanted the 1.4!). It was more than quick enough for a first car too.

I didn't do any mods in my first year of driving though, for me just owning my own car was enough :)

Hiya and welcome to Club Lupo.. Im 18 and passed my test last year. My first car was a KA which cost £1500 a year to insure fully comp, I brought my Lupo in October and when I rang the insurance and they said it was the same group as the KA even though it was only a 1.0l so I had to carry on paying the same as I didnt have the money at the time to change insurance. Renewal is up soon and was putting some quotes through and they have come down abit. I wish I would have brought the Lupo when I passed my test it drives great and feels really strong.. And for a 1.0l its quite nippy.

I wanted a cup holder too as my Lupo is a 2000. My boyfriend was breaking a polo gti so I managed to get round him to let me have it they are really easy to fit.

Good luck

Edited by Vicky

Yeah I think I'll end up getting a 1.4. I'm gonna have to pay a lot for insurance and the difference between a 1.0 and 1.4 isn't much so it doesn't really matter. Thanks :)

Yeah I think Lupos look like a really good first car, and not too common like a lot of first cars haha. Oh and I don't know if this topic helps about your cupholder cover; http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=62782 - looks like it should be no. 35 on there.

Ahhh ta Rob that's a great help :-)

I'll get looking for one!

Lupos seems quite rare around where I live... I see some driving around but hardly see any on sale in the colour I wanted lol! that's why I snapped up the one I viewed as I knew I wouldn't see another one very soon! I think they've got alot of character :)