Sound Deadening/Proofing

Hey all...

It appears 'sound deadening' the car is something worth doing, but there's lot of ways, and lots of products to do it with! I've just got access to a Factory Standard 'VW Lupo Under Bonnet Sound Deadening' part, off a friend breaking a Lupo. "Quiet motoring" isn’t a luxury with the "1 Liters" ;)

So, would spending £25 on a factory Under Bonnet VW Lupo kit be worth doing? Or should I just spend some money on a product like Second Skin?

Depends how good you want it. I used 43sqrd foot of MaxMat (a cheaper alternative of Dynomat), in which i did the full roof, double skinned the doors and rear quarters and bootlid.

The factory stuff is crap in my opinion, but thats because i run heavy bass. Are you using to reduce road and engine noise?

Depends how good you want it. I used 43sqrd foot of MaxMat (a cheaper alternative of Dynomat), in which i did the full roof, double skinned the doors and rear quarters and bootlid.

The factory stuff is crap in my opinion, but thats because i run heavy bass. Are you using to reduce road and engine noise?

Yeah pretty much just road-noise mate. I'm about to start buying some faux leather to do some retrimming and thought about putting some sound-deadening in while it's accessible. So you think the Under Bonnet stuff isnt worth it then?

Bought some dynamat today. Already have some 3M sound damping asphalt plates in the trunk.

Which part of the car should I do next?

Doors, floor, rear quarters, bootlid or what?

My reason for sound proofing is to reduce road noise.

Floorpan, doors, 1/4's, bootlid in that order IMO

Never looked at the lupo floorpans before but I doubt they have much deadening on (usually just small, thin patches of bitumen).

Doors and 1/4's can be quietened down if you put tape over any holes there are.

Seals should be kept well nourished; if they're dry they'll not seal as tight and allow wind noise to get in past them more than they should.

Bought some dynamat today. Already have some 3M sound damping asphalt plates in the trunk.

Which part of the car should I do next?

My reason for sound proofing is to reduce road noise.

Do you have anything in the engine bay mate?

My main gripe is the noise coming from the engine bay. The Lupo 1.0 engine isnt the most amazing sound, hence I want to drown it out and make it nice and quiet. I'm going to purchase that original VW Lupo bonnet sound deadening part tomorrow, and also purchase some SecondSkin to stick inside the engine bay.

No, I don't have anything in the engine bay. (Except a tiny, tiny engine... :lol: )

Need to order one of those sound deadening things for the engine bay tomorrow.

I am glad I have a friend who works with Audi so that I can get 50% discount on original VW-parts.. :D

In my experience on other cars (and the Gti) the bonnet deadening makes very little difference.

Agreed, I have took mine out today to polish the under bonnet, so wil tell you tomorrow if there is any difference.

Agreed, I have took mine out today to polish the under bonnet, so wil tell you tomorrow if there is any difference.

That would be really helpful mate, cheers!

I'd use a layer of second skin, then cover to make neat with the bonnet cover. Also, if you can get any on, do the bulkhead. That's where most of your engine noise will be entering the cabin.