leaking lupo

just realised that the front and rear passenger footwells are sodden, it doesnt smell like screem wash although i havnt ruled that out completely.

i have a sun roof so was wondering how i go about cleaning out the roof gutters and sunroof gutters.

when we had the cold weather ice appeared above the doors near the roof grab handles which i though was odd.

anyone know any other problem areas for leaking in the lupo?

Edited by Richud

just realised that the front and rear passenger footwells are sodden, it doesnt smell like screem wash although i havnt ruled that out completely.

i have a sun roof so was wondering how i go about cleaning out the roof gutters and sunroof gutters.

when we had the cold weather ice appeared above the doors near the roof grab handles which i though was odd.

anyone know any other problem areas for leaking in the lupo?

Leaking screens seem to be common, usally due to them been poorly fitted. Might be worth removing the sun visors and pulling the front part of the headlining down, see if you can see where it's coming from.

might give that a go.

iv had a look at the gutters under the wind screen and there all clear.

i noticed water comeing from the top left corner of my screen a while back but its not leaking enough to cause the sodden mats, i have just been mopping it up now.

does the sunroof have gutters?

i ripped the lower dash off today to put a new ash tray lid in and look for the leak. after about half on hour of trying to get the lower dash off (bolts hidden everywhere)

i managed to sus out what was happening.

i have a leak in the top left corner on the screen, the water is gettin in and flowing down behind the piece of plastic that runns down the window.

photo0614n.jpg

and ends up coming out in the corner of the passenger side foot well but it doesnt just pour on to the carpet, it runns straight underneath the carpet and underlay. im not sure what these wires are for in the pic but there nice and wet lol.

photo0613j.jpg

just thought id put this up to give people with leaking lupos a hand finding the leak. if you have sodden foot wells its worth taking the plastic covers off these corners to check for damp behind them.

and now my car looks like this because it too bloody cold and dark to put it back together :blush:

photo0616.jpg

My previous Lupo had a leak in exactly the same place and the water ran down the A pillar and onto those connectors like yours has done, plus I also had a puddle on the rubber mat every time it rained!

My driveway slopes down slightly, and I found that parking the car facing up the drive would stop water leaking into the car as it would drain towards the back if the car (short term fix I know ;) )

Solution: new windscreen. I went to a windscreen place and they tested it with a hosepipe to pinpoint the leak. Looks like you still have the original windscreen as it has the airbag sticker, so we can probably rule out a dodgy replacement screen...

My previous Lupo had a leak in exactly the same place and the water ran down the A pillar and onto those connectors like yours has done, plus I also had a puddle on the rubber mat every time it rained!

My driveway slopes down slightly, and I found that parking the car facing up the drive would stop water leaking into the car as it would drain towards the back if the car (short term fix I know ;) )

Solution: new windscreen. I went to a windscreen place and they tested it with a hosepipe to pinpoint the leak. Looks like you still have the original windscreen as it has the airbag sticker, so we can probably rule out a dodgy replacement screen...

yerr i found that! i always park it pointing uphill on my drive :lol:

do you reckon i should take the carpet up slightly to help it dry or just let it dry as it is, i can hear the water scwelching when i press down on the floor!!

so i will just get the window re-sealed, my uncle said i should take a hammer to it and get it replaced via insurance :rolleyes:

yerr i found that! i always park it pointing uphill on my drive :lol:

do you reckon i should take the carpet up slightly to help it dry or just let it dry as it is, i can hear the water scwelching when i press down on the floor!!

so i will just get the window re-sealed, my uncle said i should take a hammer to it and get it replaced via insurance :rolleyes:

I am having exactly the same problems with mine. I only noticed it when the snow settled on the corner of the roof.

• 2 months later...

i ripped the lower dash off today to put a new ash tray lid in and look for the leak. after about half on hour of trying to get the lower dash off (bolts hidden everywhere)

i managed to sus out what was happening.

i have a leak in the top left corner on the screen, the water is gettin in and flowing down behind the piece of plastic that runns down the window.

photo0614n.jpg

and ends up coming out in the corner of the passenger side foot well but it doesnt just pour on to the carpet, it runns straight underneath the carpet and underlay. im not sure what these wires are for in the pic but there nice and wet lol.

photo0613j.jpg

just thought id put this up to give people with leaking lupos a hand finding the leak. if you have sodden foot wells its worth taking the plastic covers off these corners to check for damp behind them.

and now my car looks like this because it too bloody cold and dark to put it back together :blush:

photo0616.jpg

i`ve got the same problem. lots of water on the passenger side and those cables that are soaking wet control the central locking and electric window.

i found out the hard way when left my car in my works car park for 4hrs, i came back to check on car to find the windows down. :confused: not much fun because of the summer snow march 31 2010 drifting into car :angry:

have to disconnect battery now, due to windows opening and doors locks open and closing when they like. :confused: