Brakes catching and grinding

ABS light is on, been on and off for a while.

A few months back, my brakes would intermittantly grind whether I pressed the pedal or not and usually when turning the wheels with significant lock. Anyway, after a week or so it stopped so I didn't think much more of it.

Heading to work this morning, the grinding started up again, only much more severe to the point where the brakes developed a mind of their own and were practically locking themselves, with me almost ending up getting side-swiped when pulling out of a junction because the car struggled to pull away. As the journey went on and the brakes warmed up, it seemed to become less severe. Same again on the way home tonight. Also, when braking I can hear little pings and bangs, and feel a juddering through the pedal. Seems to be at it's worst within the first 10mins of setting off and when turning on full lock. Haven't had a chance to inspect the discs or pads yet 'cos of the darkness.

Need to get this sorted ASAP, seems pretty dangerous, especially with my near miss this morning! Any ideas?