Pothole + Speed = ByeBye Exhaust

NickSL

So sunday evening, I has happily driving along at around 40mph in a country-ish lane (note: there is no snow or ice on the southcoast, atall, so it wasn't particularly dangerous) when all of a sudden my left hand side hit a massive pothole I failed to spot. After coming out of it I heard a loud noise, like a train, and spent a good 30 seconds wondering where the nearest train tracks where until I realised it came from the car. I pulled over and got out and realised that the back box had snapped off its mount and was trailing along the ground. Not a problem, a few cable ties in the boot did the trick for the journey home ;).

Then, I just had a look it it now and accidentally knocked the entire back box off from the rest of the exhaust, fail mechanics 101. So, just wondering what you guys would advise on the replacement, Im a student so it has to be cheap. Is it a case of just going and buying the standard one from VW or are there good after market alternatives available for around the same price? Any advice is much appreciated :)

The car is a 1999 (T Reg) 1.4S.

Thanks.

Ahh, good plan - Ill ring round a few local scrappy's tomorrow to see if anyone has a Lupo in. And yeah it is a clean break, at both the mounting point and the break from the box to the pipe. Thanks.

I hate those sneaky potholes that just jump out at you when you are only a foot or two away and avoidance is just not going to happen.

I hate those sneaky potholes that just jump out at you when you are only a foot or two away and avoidance is just not going to happen.

Yet you still clench? haha

Yet you still clench? haha