Lupo GTI - creaking from rear

I've been cursed with a loud creaking sound from the rear of my Lupo GTI from day one. Every time the body rolled when I went round a corner or over any sort of undulation in the road surface there was a loud creaking sound from the rear of the car. Even with the stereo turned up it still drove me nuts. I was convinced it was coming from the rear suspension and took it back to the VW dealer I bought it from. A guy came out with me in the car and reckoned it was the rear suspension. They had a look at it and said they'd played around with the suspension and fixed it. The creaking came back on my first roundabout on the way home! I took it back again and they came out with a lot of shyte about the shock absorbers being dry and that if I squirted them with silicon oil from time to time they would be OK!

I went to a VW dealer in Edinburgh and their top technician came out for a spin and agreed that the creaking must be doing my head in. They had the car for a week and removed the bootlock to clean and `re-grease` it, removed and refitted the spoiler, removed and refitted the rear bumper, and replaced one of the hydraulic arms on the boot as they said it was grinding a bit - fortunately all this was warranty work. The creaking was gone for about 3 days and then came back. I noticed that if I waggled the rear spoiler it creaked a bit, so I took it back and told them I reckoned that was the source of the problem. They ordered in a new spoiler, painted it and refitted it.

Hey presto - my Lupo's been creak free ever since.

Hopefully this will help others who have been demented by rear creaking too.

We had a creak on our 1.0 from about 4k miles. It happened when the body rolled from one side to trhe other e.g. coming off a roundabout. Vindis in Bedford changed quite a bit of the rear suspension and the problem disappeared. It came back again at about 25k but then went away on its own. No rear spoiler so can't blame that!

Also have a knocking from the rear that I thought was the tray on top of the spare wheel. Took that out but the noise is still there. Might be the tailgate but it seems very secure. Haven't got any other ideas at the moment.

Dave

Hello,

Creaking sounds? I had that shortly after the first service( coincidence!) But My Local VAG deal couldn't sort it out. I eventually located the problem. Well, my creaking was coming from Tail Gate Hinge. Every time i I'd go around a round about, or a tight bend, it would " `click-click`- click!" Drove me crazy!! I didn't think this happens to new(ish) cars. I Solved it by using a solvent cleaner, but unfortunatly it took some of the paint too, so i don't recommend it. Try cleaning the hinge and use plenty of PTFE lub.

I too suffer with creaking sounds...

Mine (I think) is due to dodgy suspension top mounts.

It only creaks when I have passengers in the back or if I take a corner a bit on the quick side...

Which, obviously, I only do by accident because there is nothing fun about the back end stepping out on a corner... biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />