VAGCOM Fault Codes - Anybody know what could be wrong?

hi,

Karl (M7R) scanned my lupo last night for me using VAGCOM and here are the fault codes, found out the engine is running pretty rich, so here are the fault codes, just wondered if anybody might know whats wrong?

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 036 906 034 AQ

Component and/or Version: MARELLI 4LV 3420

Software Coding: 00001

Work Shop Code: WSC 01236

Additional Info: WVWZZZ6XZ1W079808 VWZ1Z0A1350983

3 Faults Found:

17574 - Long Term Fuel Trim Additive Air Bank 1: Range 2: System too Rich

P1166 - 35-00 - -

16804 - Catalyst System: Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold

P0420 - 35-00 - -

16885 - Vehicle Speed Sensor: Implausible Signal

P0501 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

The exhaust was blowing between the middle box and cat but fixed that the best i could but made no difference, still sluggish and no low end power.

Thanks

The first two could be caused by one of two things

A knackered cat or possibly a faulty lambda sensor.

As for the vehicle speed sensor, Just clear the code and see if it comes back...

In theory if theres a problem with the vehicle speed sensor then your Speedometer would be playing up.

The first two could be caused by one of two things

A knackered cat or possibly a faulty lambda sensor.

As for the vehicle speed sensor, Just clear the code and see if it comes back...

In theory if theres a problem with the vehicle speed sensor then your Speedometer would be playing up.

Whats the best thing to do then, replace the lambda then get it scanned again? or just take it to a garage and see what they think?

Sounds like its running too rich and the extra fuel has killed the cat.

As for the speed sensor, as Nfbr said, clear the code and try again.

Also get the vag com updated, thats way old versoin!!!!!!

So could be both the lambda to make it run rich and then thats killed the cat?

The vag com is being updated after crimble to the latest CAN level, but for now 311-2 does me fine, (mines a fully open version so I can do everything!)

when I scanned it I cleared the faults and straight away the speed sensor fault came back along with the other two straight away.

Ben also told me that there is a slightl blow on the exhaust, belived to be around the front pipe area (from what he said I suspect its where the down pipe is joined to the cat)

If the car over fuels, excess fuel will go straight onto the Monolyth of the cat. If this happens, it eats away at it. Causes it to crumble and form what is almost like a ball, thus blocking the cat.

If the car over fuels, excess fuel will go straight onto the Monolyth of the cat. If this happens, it eats away at it. Causes it to crumble and form what is almost like a ball, thus blocking the cat.

right, what would the best thing be to do then?

take it into a garage then get them to diagnose the problems

OR

order a lambda and cat then see how it goes from there?

Thanks

the problem is if you take it to a garage they will prob just suggest changing both for the hell of it.

the other issue is that the car has 2 cats, 1 on the manifold and one under the car, the manifold one is easy to check, under the probe inserted in the manfold and shine a torch down the hole.

the one under the car is harder, as this wll mean splitting the system and then shineing a torch up there, plus you will be looking at the back end so it may not be clear is its gone or not... but chances are the cats ok and it will be the first one if any that gives up (in whiich case let me know as I have a spare in the garage from Mels Arosa thats only done 30k)

the probe is harder as you cant really tell by looking at it, but judging by the way the reading was jumping around it could well be this is at fault. the problem then is which one you have as theres a chaper (£50-60 or so) 4 wire one, or a more expensive (£120 or so) 6 wire one. (drop me your vin by pm or text and I will have a word with my mate who gets me trade at vw as 3rd party probes can be iffy and trade at vw tends to be cheaper - 6 wire probe is about £90)