oil not getting to top of engine

Have posted on here a few times while trying to sort out this issue.

Lupo 1.4s Ahw engine DOHC 16v.

- oil light came on so went to garage, they said filter had colapsed internally, checked and cleaned pick up, filter and oil change.

pressure improved but not enough, light come on when warm, noisey at top end.

I have changed the oil pump this week (eventually) fresh oil, started it up and its no different, possibly worse, top end sounds like there is no oil getting there at all.

Does anyone have any other ideas, (complete strip down is not going to happen as i dont have time or space)

If i cant get it sorted then its going to go.

Thanking you

Ok, start at the very basics of oil pressure and work through it.

Pump picks up the oil and moves it.

The tight tolerances in bearings and the oil ways give the oil the pressure.

If no oil is reaching the top end then you have to look at what can cause the drop in flow and pressure. Worn main bearings/crank, badly fitted oil pump, cracked block/head oil gallery, camshaft/bearings worn, worn seals (pulley or gearbox), Blown head gasket, worn/damaged hydraulic followers, damaged filter, blocked oil ways, no oil.

The only way to find the problem if you have already stripped the sump and changed the pump is to strip the motor, be it in the car or out of the car.

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

Ok now ive had a think about this so im going to waffle now and run through the oil system as i can remember it when i rebuilt the engine.

The oil is picked up and then goes through the pump, there is one outlet port from the pump that supplies a galley accross the front of the engine straight to the filter, it is then passed throught he oil cooler and then filtered and pumped to a common galley that runs right accross the front of the engine (exhaust side).

The common galley supplies the crankshaft bearings and oil jets, and then two gallleys either side of each end cap towers go upwards to the head. from there, i think a tapping is taken for the oil pressure sender as it goes in to the head. These vertical galleys then supply the camshaft bearing ports and the hydraulic adjusters throught cross drilled holes in the head. The oil is then scavinged along the front of the block again from three ports through the block which goes in to one and goes back in to the sump.

Between the head and the cam carrier there is a little gauze that protects a part of the head from debris getting in it. Its at the cam belt end, and is about the size of a 10 pence peice. That could be blocked??

Have you taken out the oil pressure pick up out to see how much oil comes out? As thats up on the head, and thats the only place where the oil pressure is picked up from. So if your gettign low pressure to the head, that will tell you straight away.

I would take the head off and clean the galleys out. You dont need to strip it down as such. The head will come off and seperate from the cam holder, then you can remove the hydraulic adjusters and tappets and clean out the head. You can crank the engine over by hand, or put it in gear and turn the wheels too to get the oil pump to pump any gunk out of the supply galleys that supply the head, and then that will confirm the supply galleys arent blocked.

Hope this info helps

Ok now ive had a think about this so im going to waffle now and run through the oil system as i can remember it when i rebuilt the engine.

Thats not bad from memory :)

thanks for all your replies. I guess i have to decide if im going to take the head off etc and have a look.

If there was debris in the oil from the filter i guess the gauze could be blocked.

I havent had a pressure test done since i did the pump as its so noisey and the light comes on very quickly.

There were no visable oil leaks from seals filter etc.

I have not had the car long and it just happened one day while driving, after spending out on the electrical fault and to have the sump pick up checked. The garage said it would cost so much to do the pump etc that i could get a used engine for less. Thats why i changed the pump myself.

I really dont want to spend any more money on it, but guess looking inside couldnt hurt, as long as i can get time to do it.

What gaskets etc would i need, apart from head gasket.

Edited by streetbuggy

Is this engine not already a lost cause?

thats what im trying to find out before i waste my time looking into it.

it runs fine, pulls hard still its just noisy as hell from the top end.

No oil leaks, no blue smoke.

Im not afraid to get the spanners dirty (im more used to rebuilding aircooled VW engines though) but not if im wasting my time with an engine thats too far gone. Ill just break or sell it.

it runs fine, pulls hard still its just noisy as hell from the top end.

No oil leaks, no blue smoke.

If thats the case then i would get the top off and have a look in there for a smashed follower or alloy swarf from the camshaft bearing faces.

One of my good friends had this with their 1.4 lupo, it turned out to be two broken followers and it was partly due to not being serviced regularly, the oil ways up to the head were blocked up with gunky old oil, the followers replaced and the engine flushed sorted the problem!

One of my good friends had this with their 1.4 lupo, it turned out to be two broken followers and it was partly due to not being serviced regularly, the oil ways up to the head were blocked up with gunky old oil, the followers replaced and the engine flushed sorted the problem!

Sounds similar. i believe its had a lack of servicing in the past, first car i have brought with no service history :rolleyes:

should have asked this question before i changed the oil pump :)

Edited by streetbuggy

• 1 month later...

Between the head and the cam carrier there is a little gauze that protects a part of the head from debris getting in it. Its at the cam belt end, and is about the size of a 10 pence peice. That could be blocked??

You can crank the engine over by hand, or put it in gear and turn the wheels too to get the oil pump to pump any gunk out of the supply galleys that supply the head, and then that will confirm the supply galleys arent blocked.

Hope this info helps

finally got the cam carrier off today, its been sitting for months now.

Is the gauze filter only on the gti's? Doesnt seem to be one on mys 1.4 ahw engine.

Also when running oil does come out of the pressure switch hole, but not as much as id expect.

I tried turning engine by hand when its all apart and am getting no oil showing in the top of head. Is this just because hand turn is not fast enough or should i see some oil anyway.

PS No swarf in there or broken followers etc

Edited by streetbuggy