An exhaust for a GTI

nayr

Right im thinking about having a full system fitted to my GTI and just wanted to know the difference between a decat and a sports cat? I'm not as clued up on exhausts as i'd like to be :blush:

Whats the best option to get the most from my GTI in regards to power but also sound? I know their seems to be issues with certain sensors too? :confused:

Im also running a cda too, and this would be a custom system id be getting.

Cheers people. :)

A de-cat completely removes the Catalytic converter. This can cause problems such as bringing up the engine warning light and is known for losing a little bit of torque bottom end. The legal consequences can be quite harsh too as it will not go through an MOT. Road Side MOT's could see you with a hefty fine.

A sports cat (or High flow cat) is a Catalytic converter designed specifically around its flow properties. The original cat on the GTI will probably be a 400cell cat, so the equivilent of 400 honeycomb cells per square inch. A high flow cat is normally 200cell, so 200 honeycomb cells per square inch. So basically the little honeycomb channels are bigger allowing faster flow of exhaust gasses. Sports cats don't normally bring any engine lights on and from my experience will not fail an MOT unless you go for a 100cell Race Cat.

Hope this helps :)

Foxy has a manifold, sports cat and catback system.

His car is very loud. But it sounds mint. Not an 'enormous backbox on a 1.0' kind of sound.

Is that on a GTI?

Also when you say catback what does it exactly mean?

Does it mean that all the piperwork is in steel too?

See what i mean about knowing **** all :lol:

ÂŁ445.

I had quotes from;

Custom Chrome

Longlife

MIJ Performance

Exhausts UK

Judging from a mate whos had his done there it seemed like the right choice and they wernt the most expensive either which is a good thing.

I don't have a raceland but I do have a 200 cell sports cat and a scorpion cat back system. Must say, the sports cat definitely SEEMS to have made for a smoother acceleration and it seems to pick up a little better too. As for ÂŁ445 for a system and a cat back...that sounds like very good value to me! Post up a vid of her purrrring when you've got the old girl back?

Are you guys thinking its too cheap and its gonna be ****? The sports cat is ÂŁ160.

Should i go to custom chrome instead and pay the ÂŁ575 with the sports cat being ÂŁ250 their? I know custom chrome are the dogs **** and ive had a lot of mates satisfied with the work they do.

Also they are a LOT more local!

Moneys not that much of an issue i just want the best! :P

Maybe they're clearing stock but ÂŁ160 for a sport cat and relevant tubing/flanges and welding is cheap.

ÂŁ200-260 is more 'normal'. I wouldn't expect much change from ÂŁ600 for a sports cat and cat back from a well known and recommended place.

I have had a 'cheaper' 200 cell sports cat before and it failed emissions even when it was hot.

Well it's been done :D.

Sits and looks exactly how i wanted it to!

The sound is great too, it has a nice little hum then obviously when you put your foot down its gives a nice loud growl B)

So pleased with it, will get some pictures up tomorrow ;)

Are you guys thinking its too cheap and its gonna be ****? The sports cat is ÂŁ160.

Should i go to custom chrome instead and pay the ÂŁ575 with the sports cat being ÂŁ250 their? I know custom chrome are the dogs **** and ive had a lot of mates satisfied with the work they do.

Also they are a LOT more local!

Moneys not that much of an issue i just want the best! :P

If you mean custom chrome nuneaton i would steer well clear in my personal experience. Dont like their work and most importantly i dont like their attitude!!!!

I once fitted my raceland manifold and had it booked in with them for a downpipe back system. Dropped it off and had a phone call 4 hours later "we didnt have time to do it" WHAT!!!!! wtf is the booking book for then if you didnt have time????

Sso i wound up with a lupo with just a manifold growling and popin its tits off and haveing to put my standard system all back on.

Second to that my brother asked them to fit his HKS backbox to his car one saturday, they didnt have time. Fair enough can i book it in? No sorry we dont do bookings youl just have to come in on monday and see if we can fit it in, 1st come 1st sserved. 9am monday comes, Sorry mate were all booked up. What??? you dont do bookings anymore you said.

I know a handful of people who have had fitting issues from them too. Knocking and blowing on custom systems, Not fitting a fflexi on a custom system of my mates leading to the weld cracking around the mid box. To which their answer was welding it back up until it whent again.

Member on here matt~black had hi raceland fitted there i believe and he was un happy with their work

No time for them GRRRRRR. touched a nerve lol :lol:

look forward to hearing yours, sounds like you got a good deal :)

Edited by Frankie

If you mean custom chrome nuneaton i would steer well clear in my personal experience. Dont like their work and most importantly i dont like their attitude!!!!

I once fitted my raceland manifold and had it booked in with them for a downpipe back system. Dropped it off and had a phone call 4 hours later "we didnt have time to do it" WHAT!!!!! wtf is the booking book for then if you didnt have time????

Sso i wound up with a lupo with just a manifold growling and popin its tits off and haveing to put my standard system all back on.

Second to that my brother asked them to fit his HKS backbox to his car one saturday, they didnt have time. Fair enough can i book it in? No sorry we dont do bookings youl just have to come in on monday and see if we can fit it in, 1st come 1st sserved. 9am monday comes, Sorry mate were all booked up. What??? you dont do bookings anymore you said.

I know a handful of people who have had fitting issues from them too. Knocking and blowing on custom systems, Not fitting a fflexi on a custom system of my mates leading to the weld cracking around the mid box. To which their answer was welding it back up until it whent again.

Member on here matt~black had hi raceland fitted there i believe and he was un happy with their work

No time for them GRRRRRR. touched a nerve lol :lol:

look forward to hearing yours, sounds like you got a good deal :)

Done now :D

My link