Jap > Lupo convert, have a bunch of questions

creationtwentytwo

Hi there all.

So I'm currently looking to buy my first Lupo. I've just sold my Civic which was a lot of fun, pretty quick, and damn near bulletproof... but also hellishly expensive to run and insure.

I've always been a huge fan of Euro style cars and having seen some Lupos looking incredible, I want to get one for myself! That way I can keep the reliability and build quality I had with my Honda, but lose the stupid running costs and insurance.

Firstly, I'm 25, full NCB and I'm moaning about insurance... that gives you an idea just how bad it was.

I've had a look at a couple already, one was advertised as blue, but actually purple, and the other was great for the most part, but brakes felt dodgy and didn't trust the dealer.

Anyway, I have some questions. I'm just gonna straight up list them so they're easier to answer, hope you don't mind.

And yes, I am a complete beginner with anything to do with Lupo's and Euro styling. As in, I have no clue.

1. Are the rear badges and side rubbing strips glued on or will they leave holes when removed? If they are stuck on, how easy are they to remove?

2. I'm thinking about 14x8 for the wheels, is this common for Euro, or should I go for 15s?

3. What are some good Euro style rims, and recommended places to buy them?

4. Say I did go for 14s, what's the best looking drop without getting too much rubbing?

5. If I'm being cheap, can I get a good looking drop with just springs?

6. What are the best coilovers to go for and where's a good place to purchase.

7. If I want to widen the track so the wheels stick out more, is this just a case of fitting wider spacers? If so, what's a good size and place to buy them?

8. How many miles is the cambelt usually good for on the Lupo?

Apologies for just joining up and asking a bunch of questions but I figured this is the best place to ask!

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by creationtwentytwo

1. Bump stips come off with no holes, badge has a recess behind it on the rear, so looks poop if taken off... No mounting holes though.

5. You need coilovers to go low enough for a 'Euro look'

6. Best coil overs are KW V3's at around £1200+... But you just need some V1's at £600+

7. Spacers yes, all depends on wheels though... Loads of places sell these.

8. Cam belt needs doing at 40,000 miles or 4 Years.

2. it depends if you go for the GTI or not, GTI's are best left on 15's though I did run mine on 14x9 for a while. The 'lower' models 1.4 1.0 etc look great on 14's, widths vary depending on the wheels you have and also how much work you want to do to get them to fit in terms of arch rolling / cutting etc. 7" usually fit with little issues depending on offsets. But people have fit up to 10 in width.

3. Theres lots of 'euro' style wheels, have a search for the wheel thread on here theres lots of pictures and ideas. Popular options are BBS (various types) ronals, schmidts, ally cats, minilites and so on, it all depends on what you like and how big your budget is. BBS RM / RS models can fetch upwards of £1000

Hope this helps, Alex

cool :) going for the 1.4 does give you plenty more options when it comes to wheels, the smaller disc brakes means you can go down to 13's if you wanted.

Good luck with the hunt :) hope you find a good one. Have a gander in the for sale threads im sure there are a few for sale on here. Alex

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I just had a look through the for sale section on here, there's some very nice Lupos for sale!

Ideally I wanna get a completely standard 1.4, hopefully within about 40 miles from me (Warwickshire), my budget is around £2500 so there isn't a whole lot available.

Just one more question,

I'm probably going to lower it before I buy some new wheels, is it possible to drop 80mm on standard steels/tyres with 20mm spacers without any problem?

Thanks

Ok thanks, I can live with affected handling until I get some wheels and get the alignment/camber sorted.

I'm just not sure if my budget will allow for wheels/suspension all at once and I'd rather have a nice low Lupo on steels than some shiny new 14s and a Lupo on stilts. Or I'll just keep the coilovers boxed until I get the wheels and put them on at the same time. Depends on how impatient I'm feeling :D