Turbo Charger or 1.8T Engine?

lillian the looop

Hi people,

im on the stage of tuning my 1.4 lupo sport engine now and im kinda in 2 minds what to do, i want some nice power gains from this little car but with minimum hassle. now i have been looking around and the 1.8T engine conversion is at the top of my list but now i have found a complete Turbo kit for my engine and not sure wether it would be worth it turbo charging a 1.4 engine?

what are your thaughts on this?

Thanks Brucey.

Hi people,

im on the stage of tuning my 1.4 lupo sport engine now and im kinda in 2 minds what to do, i want some nice power gains from this little car but with minimum hassle. now i have been looking around and the 1.8T engine conversion is at the top of my list but now i have found a complete Turbo kit for my engine and not sure wether it would be worth it turbo charging a 1.4 engine?

what are your thaughts on this?

Thanks Brucey.

Ill be starting on turboing my sport in the next month or two, sorting finances out first.

Ive gone this route because i want to be a bit different.

Either route isn't going to be cheap especially if your paying someone to do all the work.

The 1.8t route is probably going to be your most reliable route, as the engines are pretty strong and built to take a turbo, where as turboing the 1.4 engine will require strenghening and you might have teething troubles

well i found a 1.4 turbo kit for £800, but if ive looked around for the 1.8T engine and that goes for around £1,500 - £2000 then you gota get someone to fit it and uprate the brakes and suspension so yer its guna be costly aint it. but i do want reliability so 1.8T conversion would probably be best, not sure how you go about making it road legal tho like insurance companys and road tax etc?

i have put a fair bit of time and effort into my lupo and i find it a fun car to drive but now im geting abit bored of the power but dont wana get rid of the car :)

what kinda gains are you looking at if you turbo your 1.4 sport engine?

well i found a 1.4 turbo kit for £800, but if ive looked around for the 1.8T engine and that goes for around £1,500 - £2000 then you gota get someone to fit it and uprate the brakes and suspension so yer its guna be costly aint it. but i do want reliability so 1.8T conversion would probably be best, not sure how you go about making it road legal tho like insurance companys and road tax etc?

i have put a fair bit of time and effort into my lupo and i find it a fun car to drive but now im geting abit bored of the power but dont wana get rid of the car :)

what kinda gains are you looking at if you turbo your 1.4 sport engine?

You got a link to this kit?

Seems a bit cheap tbh.

Then you need to uprate your internals to take the power

As a rough guide, I was quoted 6000 by a few companies to have a 1.8t dropped in. Thats without me doing any of the work.

If the turbo kit you've found are the ones on ebay, then dont go enar it with a barge pole unless you have £800 to throw away. For your engine they dont come with a manifold either, so you'd have to have one made up, and form what Ive read the turbos are cheap, and unreliable. Couple onto this the fact that the oil lines are all generic, as is the intercooler pipework and you're having a laugh!

The ECU side to run a turbo properly will cost you a minimum of £800 with mapping. Have a search on here as there is a number of threads that will detail what needs doing and the cost, but over all if you want it done properly, I would say a 1.8T will actually be cheaper!!!

yer i think the 1.8T is the best bet but now i duno if i can be arsed messin around goin places to get work done and spending loadsa cash when i could just buy a Polo 1.8T for around the same money i woulda spent geting mine done. mite just keep the lupo as it is and buy another car that actually has abit of ooomf.

oh yer and that turbo kit was one from ebay which was from america, did seem a little bit to cheap.