engine swap

craigyboi

hey guys just wondering if thers any garages in scotland / edinburgh tht would do a swap from my 1.4 75bhp

lupo to a bigger engine such as a 1.8T ?

cheers

or can shed any light on how much it will cost ect.

Edited by craigyboi

Have a bit of a search around dude as there are a couple of threads like this.

Basically it all depends on how much power you want, if you are going to do it yourself or pay someone to.

If your handy enough yourself and a slight genius/insane then any conversion is possible.

Of course, they could never make them illegal! Its just been made harder to get them on to the V5 without an IVA. Thats all really.

John

you always needed an IVA when changeing an engine on your log book this has always been the case.

sorry i got the wrong end of the stick..... engine conversions at home are illegal you need to get a garage to do it and need the following to change your logbook..

* Receipt of purchase from a garage on headed paper confirming engine number, capacity and fuel type

* If your existing engine has been converted, written evidence on headed paper from the garage who carried out the work.

* An inspection report from a body such as the AA, RAC or qualified assessor.

* An separate inspection report for insurance purposes

* Written confirmation from the manufacturer confirming engine number and size

The 1.8t is certainly getting more common. I always dreamt of it when i had my lupo.

My plan is to buy another lupo in the next couple of weeks and get cracking with the conversion, i think ive probably got the know how i didnt have 5years ago.

Ive got a golf running approx 200bhp at the moment so i plan to buy the lupo and borrow the engine out the golf. then if all goes well and the lupo works fine then il just get a replacement engine for the golf.if all goes wrong then itl go back into the golf again.

my aim is to get it done and running as cheaply as possible then look into power upgrades at later date.