Running an amp of a standard head unit

I want to upgrade the speakers up front and run them off an amp, but I want to keep the standard factory headunit and CD player that came with the car... I think you will know the one i mean? Its in most lupos.

Can an amp be run off a standard head unit successfully? I know that they dont have any pre-outs but I think you can by adaptors, I've had a search around google and this has come up http://www.soundlinx.co.uk/ProductFinder/default.asp the lead i was looking at was one for a Gamma radio called 'VW01RCA' and says its a amplifier interface, is this what I'm after? :huh:

Any help on this would be great, I'm not really too clued up on this as you can tell! :)

If you've a gamma unit, you can use one of these to provide rca output. Not sure if it works with the beta unit though, as that only has front channels

I think I must have the Beta unit. I would rather save money and just keep that one if I can :)

This is what I've been looking at... would this work with the Beta unit I have at the moment?

VW01RCA_L.jpg

Presumably I could just use the front pre-outs as the rears wouldn't work?

No, the Beta units don't have any pre outs at all.

And Gamma units are really cheap!

I know they don't have pre outs, but if you see at the photo i posted i was going to buy an adaptor and just use the front pre-outs as the BETA unit is only 2ch. I think that will work :S

Rich now you've told me it works you owe me if it doesnt :P Well i've already got an alpine 2 channel amp which i will run some componants off, not sure which ones yet.. probably only spend 70 quid so nothing too flash.

Haa I bought the MDF rings off ebay mate, think it came in under a tener for 4 of them so its not to bad! There 18mm each. I would send you the link but i cant remember NFBR told me it though if that helps.. or i'll find out when i get home.

I know they don't have pre outs

What Jon is getting at is the beta unit doesn't have the pins in place for that connector you've posted about, i wasn't sure if they did or not, but i've just dug out my old beta unit and they're not there at all.

It's got connectors for the green and blue blocks, but not yellow.

So if you want to add an amp to a beta unit, you need the speaker line to RCA adapter that kingy posted, or you can get one of those cables you linked and upgrade to a gamma head unit (which will give you 4 channels instead of two)