Rust in roof channels

I have a 2000 Lupo 1.4 Sport with aircon and low miles and have fallen foul of most of the usual Lupo bugbears. I have fitted a new clutch because of a heavy pedal, fitted a new driver's door hinge because it had worn and the door had dropped and replaced the bonnet opening lever because the cable had siezed and the plastic lever stripped its splines, all work undertaken by a VAG garage. I have also paid £100 for a spare key that was missing when I got the car. I have now noticed rust in the roof channels and found that's another Lupo achille's heel. My local VAG dealer is not playing ball on a rust warranty claim and doesn't believe it is an inherent fault, but rather a case of poor maintenance. I am sure people have had this dealt with under their rust warranty and would appreciate if they could post some details here so I can try to get my VAG dealer to reconsider.

I must say I was pretty pee'd off with the Lupo build quality for a while but I can't help but enjoy driving the car. I must say the main dealer has otherwise been very good and has generally undercut non-VAG garages when I've got quotes for repairs. For instance, I thought at one point my air-con compressor had gone west after the engine stalled with it on one day. A non-VAG garage quoted £400 for a new compressor plus labour on top but the VAG dealer fixed it by moving it on its mountings for free!

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Gary

i would be interested in knowing who has managed to claim for their rusty roof channels too? My GTi has a couple of bad areas in the channels. Also, the rear spoiler of mine has a couple of paint bubbles but the stealers say it is not 'part of the car' and so you cannot claim for this problem?!....anyone know if this is right or if this is stealer talk?!?!?!?!? :huh:

cheers

Excellent James thank you. I did pick up on another thread but missed this one completely. I read all the replies too and it seems a few people have had roof rust done under warranty, Little Rich, Lupo Joe, S2000King, Sheps and Robyn T. Murrys VW at Newton Abbott are mentioned as a garage that acknowledged this was a fault and it would be great if I could get one or two other garage names to throw at my dealer if any of those people can help with a garage name.

I don't blame the dealer, it was the area warranty person that vexed me, telling me he had the last say, he had no info that this was a Lupo weak spot but rather it was water sitting on the roof channels rusting inwards ( not sure what difference that would make anyway if I had a rust warranty ). He told me he would talk to his colleagues about it and get back to me but never did. I don't intend to be fobbed off if I can help it though and its a bit irritating after I've spent the thick end of a grand with VAG on other works to the car.

Thanks to everyone who's chipped in to this thread too.

Cheers

Gary