Gear box oil

Patsy

Get your head under the car.

At the front of the gearbox there's a large Alley key type bolt, remove this and stick in your finger.

The level should be up to your finger if you put in your finger straight.

If it was me though, Id drain the oil and replace it while your doing it if its not been done in the last 20k miles or so.

Get your head under the car.

At the front of the gearbox there's a large Alley key type bolt, remove this and stick in your finger.

The level should be up to your finger if you put in your finger straight.

If it was me though, Id drain the oil and replace it while your doing it if its not been done in the last 20k miles or so.

Sounds like good advice, presumably there is a sump nut somehwere? Do you know what the replacement volume and oil type is please? I know in some cars the engine and gear box share oil, is this the case in a lupo, or are they seperate?

Edited by Patsy

presumably there is a sump nut somehwere?

Yes, you can't miss it :)

Do you know what the replacement volume and oil type is please?

I'll try to get the time to take a photo of the bottle of gearbox oil I use tomorrow out of the lock up.

I know in some cars the engine and gear box share oil, is this the case in a lupo, or are they seperate?

I don't think there are any cars that do that :)

The engine oil is separate from the gearbox.

The gearbox doesn't hold much oil.

I think I use (or buy) three bottles a time. Again, I will confirm if I can tomorrow the exact amount.

Good luck, its a nice job to do really as it takes a little time as the front of the car is in the way, so you have to use the nozzle attached to the bottle.

You should enjoy it :)

Old Mini's and other leyland rubbish shared engine and gearbox oil... Naff idea.

It's a PITA to do, I ended up filling it from the top, don't know if the GTI filler plug is in the same place though.