Smoking Breather Filter

So I went to top up my washer fluid last night and noticed that my breather filter was smoking and was covered in oil...Tried the search function regarding sports burning oil and it seems like a normal thing for a sport to do but the smoking breather filter wasnt mentioned....

any help much appriciated

Davey

How bad?

Put your finger over the pipe and take off the oil filler cap. If you have alot of smoke coming out of there and its at pressure, then id point towards the rings giving up.

John

think it is the rings now, just tried the test CasperGTi mentioned.

New rings and valves then....?

Whats that gonna set me back?

the rings cost me £100 a mate did the deed cost me £220 labour then when we picked it up about an hour later something got stuck in the bottom pulley and shredded the alternator belt wrapped it round crankshaft pulley , in turn stopped the bottom end and typical the timing belt slipped a couple of teeth and 16 bent valves , so that was another £200 ish to have repaired , but he did change the stem seals at the same time as the rings .

but i,m glad to say all is well now .

Edited by bigyellowblob

ahhh right cool...I've got a mate who owes me a few massive favours so £100 for the rings you say and then i'll need the stem seals doing too. Any idea where you get these from? I can imagine the stealers supply them, but anywhere cheaper??

ahhh right cool...I've got a mate who owes me a few massive favours so £100 for the rings you say and then i'll need the stem seals doing too. Any idea where you get these from? I can imagine the stealers supply them, but anywhere cheaper??

i have a set for sale as i got a set then got some with the head gasket kit , £20 inc postage

i was quoted £3.30 each at german and swedish .

Edited by bigyellowblob