Powering the Amp

Hi guys.

N00bie guy here - real name is Joe.

Anyway, I want to get my ICE sorted this weekend. Got the stuff, but I dunno where to start. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Where/how can I wire the power lead from the battery to the interior compartment. Is there some kinda hole to poke the power lead through like a grommet or somethin' or do I have to drill a hole? (Hope not). :shock:

Also, is there a ground/earth point somewhere near the boot, as the amp is going to be installed in there.

Oh and is it safe to touch the Negative/black cable on the battery when handling/disconnecting it as it's like made of metal/steel or whatever. I'm rather scared that I might electracuted myself when I connect it back to the battery once disconnected.

Please help ASAP.

Summary of enquiry:

[*]Where to put power lead through the engine compartment?

[*]Where to screw the earth/ground lead in boot?

[*]Is it dangerous to touch the negative/black lead at the cars battery?

Thanks once again! :roll:

Welcome to the Forum Joe.

Under the dash on the passenger side, there is a grommet that VW route the cables from under the bonnet to the interior of the car. If you can find it you could bring the power cable through there.

You can connect the ground lead to any bare metal point in the car as long as its secured with a bolt. I used the passenger side bolt that holds in the seat belt retention rail at the bottom of the car. As its a big bolt with lots of thread on it, like theres no fear of it coming undone and you can ground 4awg cable there. But you might have to remove some trim panneling to get to a good earth point.

Its perfectly safe to touch the cars negative battery lead. It will arc when you reconnect it, but just pop it back on the battery in one downwards motion and you will be fine.

If you need anymore help, just ask.

make sure you put a fuse in the positive line as close to the battery as possible, one of our members had a little incident by the wire touching the body work and having no fuse for protection ... flambe anyone ?

Thank you guys. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Very helpful indeed. Another few questions though. Do I need to remove some of the dashboard trims to get to this grommet at the passenger side?

From past experiences, when you reconnect the earth cable, it sometimes sparks? Is that stil safe to touch the metal part when reconnecting? Sorry to ask the same kinda question again, just quite scared of the battery for some reason. :sad:

Thanks wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

From memory, I recall having to take off the piece of foam which is under the passenger side of the dash to get to the grommet.

Its perfectly safe to touch the metal part of the earth lead. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Aha... thanks again! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I sure hope it is safe! But I bet I'll end up wearing some washing plastic gloves or something like that. :shock:

You can put you hands straight across the terminals on the battery and not get a shock. there is not enough voltage in the battery to push current the your body. Humans have quite a high resistance and if you knew ohm's law you could work this out. The sparks made when connectingthe battery terminals are because of the equipment in the car drawing power from the battery. they wont hurt you either.