oil light just flashed me!

just before i got home from work, checked the dipstick pretty much bone dry :o

checked my shed and i had half litre left from when i practically had to fill the car with oil about a year ago

im seriously hoping i havent done any damage,,,,

ive had the warning lights come on and off for th epast fortnight but i assumed that was maybe down to my brake light being out as the cur was running fine

whats my chances?

its a 1.4 sport on 40k btw

just before i got home from work, checked the dipstick pretty much bone dry :o

checked my shed and i had half litre left from when i practically had to fill the car with oil about a year ago

im seriously hoping i havent done any damage,,,,

ive had the warning lights come on and off for th epast fortnight but i assumed that was maybe down to my brake light being out as the cur was running fine

whats my chances?

its a 1.4 sport on 40k btw

Keep a close eye on your level for a while i guess you dont check it that often. Mine uses a fair bit of oil and looks like its going to have new piston rings soon. Hope you dont have the same prob for reference mine has done about 60k

well ive just had it down the garage, oil and filter change,

when he emptied the oil there musta been a bout a litre at most came out...

hopefully i havent don e any damage, and ill take it easy for a while, not that it gets driven hard really,

engine still ticks over fine and doesnt sound any different thn usual

Assumption is the mother of all f*** ups!!!

taking it easy for a while wont make any difference as the damage will allready be done.

what sort of damage if anything major will i be looking, at

im sure if it was anything catastrophic it wouldnt be running right now,

theres no signs o fblue smoke, tapping noises when ideling or driving

is there any other tell tale signs?

erm if your light came on you should of tried to turn the engine off there and then (assuming [<---there it is again very dangerous word!] its safe to do so)

it depends on how long you ran it for after the light came on, but its a safe bet that you've acelerated any wear on the engine. it would basically result in a drop in oil pressure so the oil is likely to lubricate the bores, rings, crank and cam's etc. while you'll probably be allright to run the engine (you'd be suprised how strong engines actually are). You will of shortened the lifespan of your engine, Your proabably going to get blue smoke much sooner than average and go through oil quicker too.

i hope you didnt start the engine from cold again without adding more oil to get it to the garage?

but again dont take my word for it speak to an honest profesional mechanic who is ore familiar with the situation and they will give you far better advice than i could ever offer!!!

Edited by Toi gulp

Yea I drove maybe a few hundred yards as I was kindsuckybit flashed me just round the corner frm my house

I stuck the half litre of oil I had left in the shed then went straight tithe garage about 3-4 miles away

ThAnks for the info at least gives me some piece of mind